Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

MRI... will it really show anything ??

(12 Posts)
bizzey Fri 12-Oct-12 23:09:38

Bit late to be posting this I suppose to get a reply tonight ...but my head is spinning .

Comm pead has offered/recomended a MRI for ds3...my initial reaction was no ...too scarey for him (he is 8yrs in age ...but not body and mind )

Now that I have had time to think about it ...would it show up things that could be helped that a cognitive test wouldn't ??

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 23:21:11

What are they looking for exactly? Shouldn't a neurologist be doing that?

bizzey Fri 12-Oct-12 23:45:41

Thank you SallyBear...not sure yet ...???ADD/APD/ global tingy ...not sure of those letters ! Basicly he is 2-2 1/2 years behind in everthing ...will an MRI "show/prove" anything ....will it make any difference to him if MRI shows something ?(stupid I know it will!)...I supose just wanted other poeples views ?

whatthewhatthebleep Sat 13-Oct-12 11:30:46

I've never been offered any scans of this kind and I was led to believe it wasn't likely to tell me much...I'm not sure if I was fobbed off or whether this is correct.

Watching your thread for feedback from others who have experience and advice on this

My DS2 had an MRI when he was 4. He was globally delayed (now dx ASD and MLD and some physical bits and bobs). It showed (I quote) 'an unusual appearance to the occipital zone'

Told us a lot that did! grin. We then moved and the hospital lost the report and mRI in transition anyway. So it didn't tell us anything really. But on the other hand it wasn't unpleasant or invasive, so not a horrible thing to have done.

Chundle Sat 13-Oct-12 13:34:44

An MRI wasentiomed for my dd who is 3 now. However we ummed and ahhed and its not been mentioned since. Reason for it was at birth they saw something (bilateral parenchymal echogenicity whatever this is???!) on brain ultrasound but when checked a few weeks later it was still there but back within a normal range (whatever this means!!!). Anyway we decided that even if they did see something on a MRI it won't change the way we treat our dd or the help we give her so it wasn't for us at the time

ArthurPewty Sat 13-Oct-12 15:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sat 13-Oct-12 19:27:18

I would like mine to hav one. It's never been offered but it would set my mind to rest. I worry in the dark of the night that he has some horrid tumour and we are not going to get to keep him. sad

SallyBear Sat 13-Oct-12 23:47:56

When DS4 has had scans they've always been done under a general. I try to slot in other things that might be difficult for his ASD to cope with. Refraction Eye Drops, ABR hearing test, teeth examination. I would schedule a haircut too, if I could too!grin

Lougle Sun 14-Oct-12 00:01:59

DD1 is at special school. Her MRI showed a brain malformation which was subtle but widespread. It is only ever mentioned on medical reports, and makes no difference to her treatment plan (except a little more caution with epilepsy symptoms). However, for me, it was reassuring to know there is a reason why she is the way she is, and it definitely isn't bad parenting.

bizzey Sun 14-Oct-12 11:27:54

Thanks all for taking time to reply thanks.

It crossed my mind that he would have to have a
G/A and I dont think his symptons warrent this yet.

We are due back to genetics soon for the results of chromozone blood tests which might give me a better insight of things.

I aggree with alot of you ....even if it did show up something ..would it make a difference on his level of care or help ??? I doubt it ...

Thanks again

ArthurPewty Mon 15-Oct-12 09:38:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now