Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sendist tribunal - where??

(17 Posts)
OxyMoron Fri 12-Oct-12 18:24:04

As in the title! Sendist tribunal approaching (jan) , I'm trying to find out where the hearing is likely to be. Will it be local to us or will we need to travel to them, and if so where?

Thanks

TheTimeTravellersWife Fri 12-Oct-12 18:29:07

They are normally fairly close to where you live
www.tribunals.gov.uk/qasvenuefinder.aspx

OxyMoron Fri 12-Oct-12 19:23:08

Thanks, that's the bit of their website I couldn't find! But it just says 'no venues' for my postcode, so I'm still in the dark.

TheTimeTravellersWife Fri 12-Oct-12 19:38:38

Put in Employment Tribunal to search, they often share venues

steelev48 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:30

Hi, When I received the acknowledgement that my appeal had been received, they also gave me the address of the tribunal but stated that it may change. Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps someone who lives nearby who has been to tribunal can tell you where their's took place?

TheTimeTravellersWife Fri 12-Oct-12 20:02:18

In my case, they didn't confirm the venue until about 2 weeks before the Tribunal

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 12-Oct-12 20:28:25

I got a venue with my date but it is about two hours away and it's a magistrates court which I frankly find a completely unacceptable venue.

TheTimeTravellersWife Fri 12-Oct-12 20:34:01

I agree, horrible venue & 2 hours away is really not on!

OxyMoron Fri 12-Oct-12 20:38:40

Nope, nothing shows up on employment tribunals either. In fact, it says "No venues found withinthe vacinity of the postcode entered"

I'm in Oxfordshire.

inappropriately, just wondering why a magistrate's court is unacceptable? This is all new to me.

Scottishdancer Fri 12-Oct-12 20:50:16

We are in a similar position and I just searched on the website and it says the same "No venues found"!. Are you using a solicitor? If so they should know.

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 12-Oct-12 20:57:54

As a former criminal lawyer, I know these courts often have poor facilities. Also, these hearings are supposed to be informal, non-adversarial inquiries. A formal court setting is intimidating, even if some side room is used.

Theoretically, children and young people might want to attend. The Tribunal service should be factoring that into account too, not just picking the cheapest crappy venue.

I wonder if the fact that the venue is only 20mins from our LA county offices explains it? They probably list all of crapshire's cases there.

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 12-Oct-12 20:58:40

Last time, we got told the venue the afternoon before the hearing!

OxyMoron Fri 12-Oct-12 21:15:41

shock

mariamma Fri 12-Oct-12 23:23:21

Ours was cancelled last minutes but was going to (officially) be in the local magistrates court as well. It also has family court stuff there so I think maybe they were going to borrow some of their facilities?

Though I'm ignorant of all things legal and for all I know the only rooms in the magistrates building are the loo and a Judge Judy style courtroom!

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 12-Oct-12 23:48:42

Facilities vary wildly depending on how modern the court is. Some family courts are very modern but they are still courts just as youth courts are.

I presume they wouldn't hold employment tribunals in a magistrates court. Or maybe they would??

Iceflower Sat 13-Oct-12 09:03:10

When I lodged my appeal, I made it clear that I had no family support so needed the venue to be somewhere local. Everytime I communicated with them, I reminded them smile

My hearing was at a magistrates court, it wasn't ideal but not dire.

It's probably not too late as your hearing's in Jan to write and make a point about the venue being accessible etc.

Delalakis Sat 13-Oct-12 13:07:15

I suggest you phone to ask. They're trying to set up permanent venues so they should be able to give you at least an idea of where it is likely to be. However, they do tend to overbook at popular venues like London, which sometimes means a last minute change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now