Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday night thread

(76 Posts)
zzzzz Fri 12-Oct-12 17:20:28

My sister carroted me. Did you know that it is important to read to your child every night? Now why the fuck didn't I think of that.

zzzzz Fri 12-Oct-12 17:21:43

One more school run and then I will be back hopefully without the sheathing rage that has infested my soul.

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 17:36:05

Off out tonight for a curry with some girls from ds4's old nursery. Had a mixed week with a whistlestop trip to GOSH for a CT scan for DD's impending jaw surgery. DS1 had an EP assessment for Dyslexia. Organised by the school so I will be waiting on the report ad infinitum I suspect hmm. They didn't ask him to copy anything down in his own handwriting. It was all on a pc. confused
I was informed by the SENCO that DD needs to move tutor groups as her class is full of bitches that laugh at her speech articulation, her deafness and her lack of ears. Head of year is saying that this is probably not possible. angry
Anyway. wine lots of it tonight. Help yourselves!

SadieChanges Fri 12-Oct-12 17:43:26

Hi can I join?! My ds nearly 2 is having the ados assesment in a few months, this week he had to give blood for tests. The nurses spoke to him as though he could understand and say his name etc. He doesn't talk or notice much so it was really upsetting hearing his screams and it took ages as his vein went into spasm.

Anyway I took him to a music group today and my lovely dh worked from home a bit and looked after dd so I can spend time alone with ds as I have no family / close friends here. Ds was really good and no tears which is a first.

Going to have some wine later and keep reading More Than Words !

hazeyjane Fri 12-Oct-12 17:59:18

Hello, feeling gloomy here as a friend's ds is in hospital.

Also a bit down about an email we have just had from the genetics nurse, basically saying that they aren't going to test any further on the Kleefstra syndrome tests, as they have come back inconclusive.I had requested to meet his new geneticist, but the email said that she had seen his photos and read his notes and wanted to wait until Spring and review him again then. The cheek swab they did was also inconclusive, so she will see about doing a skin biopsy. But the basic message was more waiting and seeing and not really knowing where we are.

On the upside ds and I had a lovely hydrotherapy session today, we even had the whole pool and physio to ourselves.

Looking forward to pizza and wine here.

Zzzzz, grrrr at that comment - I think i need further explanation of the caring carrot thing though!?

Sally enjoy your curry, I am angry with those girls and the senco's inability to sort the situation on your dd's behalf.

Hello SadieChangessmile

babiki Fri 12-Oct-12 18:02:20

Zzzzzz feel for you, but you got to laugh at some people... I am bookmaniac, house is filled with books and yet a very good friend told me the same thing smile)))

whatthewhatthebleep Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:12

quiet week here...just waiting in our 'limbo' for developments but will be at least another 2 weeks before we have any idea of 'what next'.....

Decided I need to get off my over-thinking/worry cycle and give myself a rest from everything .... just trying to remember how to actually relax!!

huge bag of Cheesy Wotsits and 2 Kinder Bueno's and lots of coffee....hoping the TV will have something worth watching later on....

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 18:14:02

I have just heard that cupofteaplease's little DD Bea is in HDU. I am beyond worried. sad

lisad123 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:16:29

Sallybear was going to post the same sad I'm really hoping little Bea pulls though this and she is home safe ASAP.

I can't post about my own selfish thoughts while worrying about this little lady sad

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 18:18:15

I know Lisa. I saw them on Tuesday. She was refluxing and had quite low o2 SATs. I am really worried.

whatthewhatthebleep Fri 12-Oct-12 18:18:55

whats HDU...sorry I don't know cupoftea s situation...I hope it's not too serious for her DC ?
Does anyone know what has happened for them?

lisad123 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:20:29

High dependancy unit sad

lisad123 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:21:22

Bea was born over a year ago and they were told she would die within a few days. She didn't and has a number of complex health needs. She's a little fighter as is her wonderful family x

zzzzz Fri 12-Oct-12 18:41:27

Shouldn't have posted about sister. My family are stupendously un helpful. Sometimes it gets me down, but I have a very kind and loving husband and my children are fabulous (though frankly quite tiring this evening).

sally horrible horrible people. angry

sadie blood tests on the non verbal are soul scorching. Poor all of you. I'm glad you got some one to one in, good old Dh for holding the fort.

hazey caring carrot=useless and patronising advice offered by the smug and superior clearly implying that root cause of problem is with carers substandard caring. Originally coined by bochead after idiot school staff member explained to me how to make carrot batons for ds1(severe language disorder plus)'s packed lunch as this would obviously cure everything and anything. It has become a bit of a catch phrase, like honking.

babiki we too are bookaholics. His older siblings had reading ages of 12 in year 2. His younger siblings read well for age. Obviously I picked this one child not to read to.

I'm sorry to hear about little Bea. HDU is a sad and scarey place.

whatthewhatthebleep Fri 12-Oct-12 18:42:53

How desperate they must be feeling right now....

makes our issues and things seem irrelevant when you know someone is coping with something so frightening with their little one.

All strength to them xxx

SallyBear Fri 12-Oct-12 18:46:59

Amen to that whatthe

ouryve Fri 12-Oct-12 18:54:39

Sally: sad

Relatively quiet week. DS1's bubbling up for another explosion. He had one at home, last night, while I was making tea - the tension of making an effort to blank my birthday, while other people talked about it, had got too much for him.

DS2 decorated the boys' bedroom, last night. Spectacularly. Glad of the new washer dryer. Poor boy's very cuddly and eating a bit and drinking lots, but has the most evil breath [hurk]

zzzzz Fri 12-Oct-12 18:56:52

ouryve have a wine yik!

hazeyjane Fri 12-Oct-12 19:00:05

Oh no to Bea being in hdu, that is where friend's ds is. So frightening.

Aaaah, I get the caring carrot now. Yes we have had a few of those.

Badvoc Fri 12-Oct-12 19:06:30

Thinking of Bea and her family.
Horrid week here due to illness, but nothing like what that poor family is going through sad

bochead Fri 12-Oct-12 19:28:10

GGGRRR for you SallyBear. HOY needs to call in their parents, read the riot act and then move your DD, or she's as bad as her tormentors.

I have no idea what to say re poor Bea & her family bar that I'll pray for them sad

Been a mixed week here. I've had an eye infection, which has had a knock on effect on the housework, and subsequently my mood.

The dyslexia team are getting involved now with DS at school, & I have mixed feelings about it tbh. Unless he gets the proper OT & VT he needs I can't really see what they can do to help bar be additional cooks, potentially spoling a broth that is just beginning to be effective. (Too many ineffectual clueless carrots in our history I guess) I'm worried they'll be giving the school the impression there's some kind of magic bullet for his literacy problems that just doesn't exist iyswim. I'm prepared to be pleasantly suprised, but don't really see what they have to offer.

has anyone heard from ImogenGladheart recently?

lisad123 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:32:33

Will post mine as I'm sure cuppa wouldn't mind especially as its nice news.
Both girls got star pupil of the week!! They are at completely different schools and couldn't be prouder of them.
The week hasn't been too bad although we are dealing with dh father who had a heart attack. sad

Badvoc Fri 12-Oct-12 19:33:56

So...in essence "caring carrot" = twat?
Have I got that right?

zzzzz Fri 12-Oct-12 19:39:38

badvoc grin yup

Badvoc Fri 12-Oct-12 19:42:58

Okey dokey smile
Plenty of them around sadly sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now