Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall....

(4 Posts)
Bomper Fri 12-Oct-12 09:20:47

Dd2 (8) has been 'sort of' diagnosed with Social Communication Disorder. I say, 'sort of' because the SALT that did her assessment did not specialise in this area, she dealt with speech problems due to nervous conditions like Selective Mutism. This was in June and I was told that I would have to wait until the new term in September to get the correct SALT to assess her. I am still waiting. I am constantly ringing the school and being fobbed off for one reason or another and I am at the end of my tether. She only has one 'friend', who is rather nasty to her and treats her pretty shabbily. I keep telling her she should try and find someone else to play with but she is strangely drawn to this girl. It breaks my heart to see her standing alone in the playground whilst this girl runs off with other children. I don't know what I expect anyone to say to me but I just wanted to get it off my chest and maybe realise I am not alone in this.

moosemama Fri 12-Oct-12 09:28:48

Have you considered going via your GP instead of the school? Ime it's the only way to make sure things actually get done, schools are often notoriously bad for dragging their feet with these things.

I would recommend booking an appointment with your GP to discuss your concerns regarding your dd. In the first instance it's often useful to book an appointment without your dc taking a written list of concerns with you, then the GP may ask you to bring her in to meet them. Ideally, you would be asking for a referral to a developmental paediatrician. SALT cannot diagnose afaik and there are so many issues that can present similarly, that you need someone properly qualified to look at the big picture and assess your dd as a whole.

Bomper Fri 12-Oct-12 09:39:55

I have tried the GP route and was told that it had nothing to do with them and I had to go through the school!!! I was told that if I had a referral to them from the school then they would act but that it was like adding an extra link to the chain and would just delay things further!! I feel whatever I do I cannot move forward. sad.

moosemama Fri 12-Oct-12 10:16:13

You GP is wrong. The can and should refer you to a Developmental Paediatrician, or at the very least the Community Paeds.

Is there a different GP you can see? You are always entitled to a second opinion.

Failing that, go and insist on a referral, I don't think they can turn you down if you make a direct request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now