Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Probably a daft question. Statement - what happens if...

(10 Posts)
badgerparade Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:25

you don't agree with the recommendations made by various professionals in part 2? As an example we are not sure ds can cope in ms school but LA professionals are saying they can put a 'package ' together so that he will be able to. Also hardly anyone seems to take into account sensory issues that are affecting him in school. I know that if things are not mentioned in the reports for Part 2 then they won't get put into Part 3 but does that mean going straight to tribunal. Not really able to afford lots of independent reports sad.

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 11-Oct-12 20:38:37

What stage are you at? Proposed statement?

You can suggest amendments to Part 2 and 3 and you need to point to evidence to support those changes where you can.

If those changes are not accepted and the final statement is issued without amendment, then you will have to appeal and go to Tribunal to get it changed with evidence to support what you are asking for.

What are you asking for in Part 4? How old is your son?

The LA should look at Part 2 and then Part 3 and then decide on Part 4. Of course, they never approach it that logically but they should.

Foxy800 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:51:53

We are currently at this stage on a proposed statement, I requested an extra 15 days to look at it and are looking at a school tomorrow. Its quite tricky though as I believe dd would be better staying where she is whereas her dad wants her to move.

You can also make amendments to the proposed statement.

cornsconkers Thu 11-Oct-12 20:59:38

I did what somebody else had already done on here and rewrote and sent it back to them.i wouldn't have known i could do that if it wasn't for this board. They reproduced it practically word for word.

Someone told me that the statement 'writers' are consultants ( in our lea anyway) and they tender out the work, which is why statements can be so crap.
I matched each point that i wanted included to reflect the professional reports.

Do you want a ss?

badgerparade Thu 11-Oct-12 21:00:08

Hi AE
Sm being re-written due to new diagnosis and to name high school placement. The existing sm was not great and I really need to get this one right. We know that there are no schools in county with the experience of ds's condition. LA said that they will provide any necessary training hmm. We looked at local school and although very nice it is totally inappropriate for ds ( he could hardly set foot in it as so anxious). The Senco has no idea how to deal with him but said she had someone similar and when it looked like there was trouble brewing she called the parent to collect the child to avoid any upset in school - we certainly won't be doing that! He needs small class sizes and she said that the low ability classes have less children so might suit him better than a 'normal' class. I am visiting another school shortly but they didn't sound keen to have him either. Really worried that he will just get shoved into a school where he will not cope and get excluded.

cornsconkers Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:44

The senco had someone similar did she! Heard that one before!
Have you looked out of your own lea?

badgerparade Thu 11-Oct-12 21:03:30

cornsconkers Have seen an independent school where staff are experienced and there are children there with his particular condition who thrive but it's costly unfortunately. I need to prove that they have nothing suitable for his needs.

cornsconkers Thu 11-Oct-12 21:18:27

Yes you need to prove that only that particular school will meet his needs.
Have you been there yet? We. Found that you really have to visit a ss to get a feel for it.
There was one school we looked at which was amazing but wouldn't have suited ds at all.

badgerparade Thu 11-Oct-12 22:18:12

Not visited. A bit scared to really in case it upsets us to see how much help he could be getting.

cornsconkers Fri 12-Oct-12 09:12:46

I know how you feel...but I found that seeing good practice helped me to be clearer about what I needed to ask for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now