Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School suggesting Sensory Processing Disorder in 6YO DS, any experience?

(7 Posts)
peanutMD Thu 11-Oct-12 10:28:00

My DS has always been a bit over, active and at nursery he was referred to EP for issues around fine mirror and concentration skills but nothing conclusive came of it.

In Primary 1 he was in a class if 18 and managed well with his work but had the occasional lapse of concentration which we expected.

He started Primary 2 in August and has had nothing but issues with his teacher and not concentrating our competing work in class, homework is fine.

he is in a class of 40 with 2 teachers, which I suggested was an issue from day 1 but they said it was fine. A few days ago I got a phone call from Deputy Head telling me that teachers were concerned and suggested SPD but when I informed the teacher I'd spoken to DS and he had said it was too noisy and couldn't concentrate she said that was the prefect excuse but everyone else manages fine.

The more I think about it this is a total contradiction of what she refereed him to head for.

Sorry for rambling I'm going someone can shed a boot of light on what this disorder actually means and how to help my DS.

Thanks smile

shoppingbagsundereyes Thu 11-Oct-12 10:39:22

Get out of the library the book The Out of Sync Child. It is really useful if you worry your child may have sensory processing disorder and has some ideas on things that can help. Before ds had an aspergers diagnosis I was convinced he had SPD. From very young there were a wide range of sensory problems from loud noises to bright lights to lumpy food to scratchy clothing. It may also put your mind at rest that your ds does not have SPD.
I certainly think a class of 40 is ridiculous and am amazed any of the children are learning. I used to be a teacher and have taught classes from 24-32 and even the extra 8 children made a significant difference in the quality of learning, I dread to think what an extra 16 would do to a classroom.

shoppingbagsundereyes Thu 11-Oct-12 10:40:14

P.s the everyone else manages fine line is crap. There is no way that the 39 other children are coping perfectly.

DrWhoExterminatesMyBrain Thu 11-Oct-12 10:51:19

Hi Peanut, my ds was referred for sensory issues at nursery (hes a sensory seeker) hes now also in p2 and copes in class with sensory toys, he has a wobble cushion, chewlery (for talking!) and he had a weighted lap bag in p1 but it went 'missing' in the move from p1 to 2 and has never reappeared. I bought the out of sync book and its been a worth while read i see ds in some of it but still not convinced its quite the whole story. Ds' teacher has said he copes well academically but talks to much and needs to fidget. Ds has told me there has been times there has been 2 classes in one so well over 40 children i dont have much faith in his school at all or there blase attitude to ds' issues.

porridgelover Thu 11-Oct-12 10:56:16

Sensory Processing is how your brain interprets all the information that is coming at it...both the 'obvious' senses that we think about (vision, smell, taste, touch, sound) and the not obvious ones. This includes things like the vestibular sense which tells us where we are in relation to gravity, how we are moving, direction and speed. Also proprioception which tells our brain about where our joints are in relation to each other, what force to apply to a movement etc.

In a NT brain, these processes are 'integrated' i.e. the information is coming in and being 'filed' in the appropriate place and used immediately. It is below concious level i.e. when you are a baby starting to stand, you are very aware of where gravity is and your position in relation to it, but as an adult that sense is integrated and you dont have to think about it.

Children with Sensory processing difficulties are hypothesised to have difficulty with the efficiency of the 'filing'. Either they have difficulty registering the information coming in (it's not 'strong' enough) or they are find it too 'strong' and cant deal with it typically. They may try to block the information or become overwhelmed by it.

This explains sensory processing. There is also a checklist on the page that you can print off and use with your DS and should highlight what are the areas of concern.

From the little that you've described, he may have a difficulty with Auditory processing. And in a class of 40, I would imagine it would be very difficult for him ...especially trying to 'process' what is relevant (teacher's voice) vs what is not (the noisy kid 2 rows back).

peanutMD Fri 12-Oct-12 07:35:50

Thanks everyone smile

I spoke to the school again last night and have made an appointment with our GP on Monday to get a hearing test and to hopefully start the ball rolling to find out one way or another, it sounds crazy but I'm not worried about a diagnosis its more the school attitude towards it especially his main teacher (who is a total twunt IMHO) that bothers me as if needed I want him having the most support they can offer so that we can ask help him.

I think it is an auditory issue because he has stated its an issue and he gets distracted very easily by sounds around him.

your posts and links are making a lot if sense to me so thank you for that smile

coff33pot Fri 12-Oct-12 09:02:14

GP needs to refer you to an occupational therapist who is trained on sensory awareness if not then a developmental pead who can refer.

Ds sensory issues are auditory visual and auditory processing. He can hear a pin drop. Clock ticking and lights buzzing distract him along with noisy classroom. Visual wise if it is too crowded or walls covered. In posters distract as do the odd crack or nail in the ceiling!

he is also tactile and sensory seeking. Clothes bite, I can't touch his neck to pull his collar out over his jumper and he has to wear shoes a size too big as he hates feeling them near his toes.

he needs regular breaks for heavy muscle work and excercise to aid concentration and give him chance to regulate his body.

Out of sync child is a good book smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now