Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ot report worse than I thought

(4 Posts)
nsure Wed 10-Oct-12 11:28:37

hi, I am now wondering what to do, am sitting in tears after reading my ds OT report.
We went to a private OT last week for a assessment for dyspraxia and I recieved the report today. I knew he would have the dyspraxia diagnosed ,but to hear all the tests show he is on the 0.1/0.2 percentile was quite a shock, also he has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and is showing symptoms of aspergers /asd .

I know he is different ,but I just dont really know if he is differnt enough for most people to notice . Most of his behaviours are done at home . He is probably the most well behaved boy the school has as he is so keen to please.

Also the school dont even recognise any of the dyspraxia , I have no idea how they are going to view this report.I dont even know why I am crying I pretty much knew most of this was going to come up.

alison222 Wed 10-Oct-12 11:54:57

You are grieving for the child that you thought you had. It is normal.
You have to allow yourself some time and space to do this.
What you know is that this changes nothing about your lovely son, but now you know what the differences are you can start to change how you help him. This is a good thing. It will allow you to find the most appropriate help.
You will never know what the school think until they see the report.
I had something similar with my DD's dyslexia. They fobbed be off time and time again until I had a private report.
Now they have acknowledged that there is a problem and slowly, slowly I am getting them to provide appropriate help.

porridgelover Wed 10-Oct-12 12:13:16

Nsure, I remember your thread about the dyspraxia and laptops and that your son has ED.
I think no matter how much you 'know' that your child has problems, getting an objective report that details them is very hard. I don't know if it's because we make allowances; or if it's that we support them to minimise the distress for them, or what, but when a professional puts them under pressure and it results in a percentile score like that, it's horrible.

It's like a line has been passed and as alison says, you have to grieve for the child you thought you had.
Someone posted here about having a child being like going on a cruise to Italy...with all the anticipation about the language, art, architecture and food. But with a child who has SN its like getting on the cruise with everyone else but getting dropped off in Holland. It takes a while to adjust but eventually you start to notice that there are other people who have been dropped at the same destination.... and that actually, there is a lot to appreciate about Holland.
Hope that makes sense smile

So have a little weep; but then up and at 'em. With this report in hand you can go fight for DS to get the help and support he needs at school. brew

nsure Wed 10-Oct-12 12:13:57

thx , he is lovely. I am going to take in the report at hometime today and just see if they contact me about it at first. The OT has recommended alot of things that they should now do for my ds , from using laptops , 10 mins each day for touch typing practise , extre 25 mins in exams , scribes for some lessons , time to practise with scribe, back on a better move on programme, one 2 one sometimes and many more. I really cannot see school doing this but maybe just be allowed to use a laptop and extra time in exams would be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now