Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SENco says Yr 2 ASD son unlikely to get Statement

(17 Posts)
devilinside Wed 10-Oct-12 09:52:34

He says local authority are only giving them out in severe cases, and because my son is 'progressing' academically' it will be unlikely.

His 'progression' academically consists of:
-only just writing his three letter name (letters back to front)
-Being on the same colour book band for 6 months (refuses to read at home) and is at 'reception' level
Below average in all other subjects, although expected to catch up.
-struggling socially, only has 1 friend (other SEN child) Comes home every PE day with his clothes back to front, inside out, shoes on the wrong feet.

They are going to bring the EP in to assess him again and see what she thinks.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 10-Oct-12 10:04:22

The test is whether he is making 'adequate' progress.

Triggles Wed 10-Oct-12 10:05:50

DS2 was at the top of his class in his MS school, and they still requested a statement for him (and got it).

Have they put this in writing? I'll bet not. hmm

Bypass the school's nonsense and request the SA yourself.

Then I'd suggest a meeting with the SENCO, the teacher, and the headteacher, and demand to know why he is not progressing adequately, what specifically they are doing to support him both socially and academically, what his IEP says (because he should have one if he is struggling - and if he doesn't,insist that it gets done NOW), and ask why he is not getting appropriate assistance with dressing after PE, as they should be helping him. Make notes of the meeting, or better yet, bring someone along to take notes, and then follow up the meeting with a letter that includes a summary of what was discussed and what support will be put in place (and when, etc).

When you deal with them 1- in writing and 2- in a no nonsense fashion, it can sometimes push them into action. Squeaky wheel, and all that. Putting everything in writing, even if it means a brief letter following up discussions over the phone, makes them very aware that you are most likely keeping copies that you can use at a later date if they do not follow up on things.

fedupwithmorningbattles Wed 10-Oct-12 10:23:39

If a child is tested (cognitive) and shows to be average or above average intellectually there is always mention that a statement will not be awarded because technically they are capable but with ASD there is a whole other side which also needs to be taken into account i.e the behavioural, social and emotional side.

As Triggles mentioned above apply for the SA yourself, get the ball rolling I have kept a copy of every school report my Ds has ever had which shows the same re-occuring social/emotional difficulties for the past 3 years. Take a note of everything its all evidence to help your Ds.

Sometimes you sit back and think that those who have a duty to help your Ds are doing just that, but then you realise it isn't good enough and its time to grab the bull by the horns.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 10-Oct-12 10:41:31

Yes, - but 'capability' is dependent on appropriate education.

A capable deaf person cannot make progress if the entire curriculum is delivered verbally by a teacher wearing a mask, despite the fact that the other children will be able to make progress.

colditz Wed 10-Oct-12 10:44:08

Ds1 is extremely able academically, but he's still statemented. Your senco is lying, they often do to avoid diverting school funds to a child who will be granted a low number of one to one hours, as the school will have to find.and fund these themselves

fedupwithmorningbattles Wed 10-Oct-12 10:48:35

Exactly starlight there are hidden difficulties, so for someone to say additional help will not be rewarded purely on the basis that they a capable just means less paperwork and stress for the person using the excuse imo, and additional difficulties for the Dc involved.

devilinside Wed 10-Oct-12 10:48:57

Thanks, I will follow up all these suggestions. I think my son is being 'failed' because he has a tendency to 'withdraw' at school rather than 'melt-down' The result of this is that he doesn't really cause them any trouble.

I guess the quiet children on the spectrum (which probably includes many girls) are missing out on extra support

fedupwithmorningbattles Wed 10-Oct-12 10:54:17

Thats correct Colditz when a child is on SA+ they are already entitled to 15 hrs but they do not neccessarily get it (if the school decide not to use the funds) the statement is basically a top up to give additional funds for any extra help on top of the 15 hours. So if a statement is awarded the schools funds will have to supply the first 15 hours wether they see fit or not.

fedupwithmorningbattles Wed 10-Oct-12 10:58:42

Sorry devilinside I was on a mission and x-posted with you blush.

You will find that if the Dc doesn't cause major disruption they are not seen as priority, now if he stood up and threw a chair at a teacher they would be on that statement like a shot!

Hope you manage to get things sorted it must be so stressful for you and Ds x

alison222 Wed 10-Oct-12 11:22:39

Just to add support. Initially my SENCO told me we would not get a statement.
WE DID.
DS has AS. He is G&T in Maths and science. He is working above National curriculum levels in all subjects except French.
He also has social and emotional difficulties, hypermobility and sensory issues all of which prevent him from accessing all of the curriculum if not dealt with.
It is a case of looking at the LEA guidance the SENCOP and the SEN toolkit, to see what criteria the LEA use for ASD children. It is recognised that the help they need is different.
I am not saying you will definitely get a statement, just that it is possible.
You do need to carefully look at how you present the evidence though and make it an "idiots guide" as I was advised - ie attaching reports and cross referencing quotes of difficulties and recommendations from Prof reports.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Oct-12 12:23:18

devilinside,

re your comment:-

"He says local authority are only giving them out in severe cases, and because my son is 'progressing' academically' it will be unlikely".

More nonsense from a SENCO. Such people do not want the extra work involved.

Please do not believe such guff and apply for the statement yourself. Also statements can benefit those children with additional social and communication needs as well. Children whose additional needs are not being met at school can sometimes go unnoticed in a classroom because they on the surface anyway fit in with their peers. Also many teachers are simply not trained or skilled enough to recognise special needs in all its many guises.

You are truly his best - and only - advocate here.

IPSEA's website is helpful www.ipsea.org.uk

sazale Wed 10-Oct-12 13:12:12

My dd 13 got a full time exceptional needs statement and is now in a special school and she is cognitively at the level of a 15 year old!!!

bigbluebus Wed 10-Oct-12 13:45:30

My DS got a statement for 25 hrs 1:1 support in Yr 2 just after he was diagnosed with ASD (although I think school had started the statementing process before diagnosis). He was in top group for maths, spelling and was off the primary school reading scale for reading. He got level 3's in all yr 2 SATS.
Without a 1:1, he would not sit still and pay attention to anything that did not interest him and as he was bright, he lost interest very quickly!!

He is now Yr11. Has completed GCSE Maths a year early and got an A grade. He is in top stream for all subjects and will be completing the rest of his 9 GCSE's next summer and is still statemented for 25 hrs 1:1.

So devil your Senco doesn't know what she is talking about!

creamteas Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:12

I tried but was turned at SENT appeal for statement for my ASD DS. He is fine academically and in the classroom does not (according to their criteria) have behavioural issues.

It is worth trying, but it is not guaranteed.

bialystockandbloom Wed 10-Oct-12 20:00:07

What the others say is absolutely right. The Senco is talking nonsense. You can apply yourself. You need to provide sufficient evidence that he cannot cope without support (academic, social or self-help), and it sounds like you can clearly demonstrate the need for support.

I got told my asd (high functioning) ds wouldn't get a statement either. He has 25 hours 1-1 shadow, ABA trained. His IEP consists entirely of non-academic targets, and includes things like working on concentration/motivation. Like others here, issues like this can prevent access to the curriculum (a useful phrase to use wink).

Also, 'progress' is meaningless without context. If his attainment is that far behind his peers, he clearly needs a differentiated curriculum and/or additional support.

Go for it. Good luck.

Inaflap Wed 10-Oct-12 20:47:06

Unfortunately this is what the senco may well believe. The paperwork is tough and time consuming. I will do it and, because of what i've gone through with DS1 I know what phrases to use and how to put things. This is not the case for some teachers who may well have had the job of senco dumped on them along with ict oordinator and geography coordinator. At primary level it can be a bit luck of the draw and this might be what she/he genuinely believes because either they have been turned down before or thats what they have been told. I just wish I had some parents like you lot. I find it so worrying that some are in denial (i was so appreciate that) but worse won't go and look at provision, forget really precious appointments for assessments and the lose reports. I've had to go with parents before now to appts and fill in the parent forms for them at annual reviews in a way that will keep the statement. I've got one parent who thinks their child will be cured in a year of their social communication difficulty meanwhile i'm trying to engage them in their child's iep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now