Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

alternative to soft play blocks

(8 Posts)
lirael Tue 09-Oct-12 23:04:34

I wondered if anyone on here would have any bright ideas? I want to construct some sort of indoor obstacle course for Ds2 (10). We have a soft play trampoline but I want something he can balance and climb on. Soft play blocks are prohibitively expensive. I thought of making a balance beam with a plank of wood, but can anyone think of a cheaper alternative to the blocks? I have about £150 to spend, as he's just had a birthday and everyone always gives money as he doesn't really do presents.
TIA oh wise Mnetters - though I am probably a bit daft posting this at this time of night as it'll have disappeared by the morning... grin

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 09-Oct-12 23:09:18

cushions from a charity shop? or freecycle sofas? or just freecycle?

zzzzz Tue 09-Oct-12 23:13:25

You could buy foam cut to size?

I'm not quite sur what you are looking for?

Sand bags?

Dev9aug Tue 09-Oct-12 23:18:03

Foam cut to size foam

Ideas for an indoor obstacle course

zzzzz Tue 09-Oct-12 23:35:33

You could try inflatable stuff. Give yourself a beach theme. Cheap this time of year too.

Sneezecakesmama Wed 10-Oct-12 10:00:28

We made wedges etc with foam given free from a furniture upholsterer or for just pence. They had skip loads of left over foam chunks and sheets of foam, so try there. Covered in lovely coloured end rolls do material makes lovely things. Maybe simple MDF squares covered with foam?

porridgelover Wed 10-Oct-12 10:39:35

I use masking tape/duct tape in diffferent colours to mark off squares and balance lines for hopping/tightrope walking.
I have marked out a figure-of-8 with tape and using floor tiles.
These are nice prone activities.
I have this in my hall which goes in and out of favour.
What about a body sox? Or a wobble board?

lirael Wed 10-Oct-12 16:36:44

Great ideas everyone - thanks. Have bookmarked and will look properly later. Like the idea of using foam shapes - that site looks brilliant Dev9. DS doesn't follow instructions very well, so all exercises have to be simple and obvious. He's also very cautious, so won't balance on anything that isn't firm - one of the things I want to work on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now