Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What happens if you don't get a diagnoses?

(4 Posts)
kmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 20:48:06

DS3 is 3.5years. We saw the paediatrion in July who agreed that he needed assessing (scheduled for next week). On the letter from him it says probable autism.

Fast forward to now. DS now has some speech, it's still very hard to converse with him (unless it's dinosaur related) but in our eyes he's improved a lot. I guess my worry is what if they don't see what we deal with every day? We've been working on getting him to respond to his name, eye contact, pointing (it's all hit and miss but he will respond now at times). I guess my fear is he will 'perform' at the assessment and will be back to square one. We had a report from his pre school (he's there for 15 hours a week) which list all his behaviors notably his complete lack of social skills and his fixtations on certain toys.

I've been reading so much in Internet, I think I've scared myself. Does what we say come in to it? Pre school? All will it all be based on what they see right then?

Ineedalife Tue 09-Oct-12 21:46:39

Lots of us on here recommend keeping a diary of childrens behaviour/difficulties, what causes them if you know and how you deal with them.

So if he freaks at the sound of a hand dryer or at having a different coloured cup at breakfast time or whatever, write it down, date and time it and take it with you.

If you are already using strategies to help him, write down what you do, when and if it works.

I think the preschool report will help with the process, it sounds as if they are thinking along similar lines.

If you can video him that will help to but I never managed to do that, Dd3 would have goen beserk if I had.

Good luck

Clarabumps Wed 10-Oct-12 13:13:04

i am in the same boat- my son is 3.9 and awaiting a tier 2(?) assessment. I am sick with worry that they won't diagnose him with anything and will send me away with "all kids are different" rubbish that they have fobbed me off with for months.
Awaiting someone who has been through this to come along and tell us what happens. (holding your hand in the meantime)
This is so hard.

kmummy Wed 10-Oct-12 13:20:24

Clarabumps exactly that! 6 months ago anyone spending five minutes with him couldn't argue, but now he's copying his baby brother and masking some things. I'm so scared will be left with no help sad

I've already made videos, I will sit down and list all the things that worry us and what we've worked in with him. Surely children can get improve to an extent?

When he was seen in Huky they said themselves with the right therapies there was a great chance he can attend mainstream school,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now