Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism and I.E.P

(4 Posts)
myBOYSareBONKERS Tue 09-Oct-12 10:28:15

My son is in year 5 and has a diagnosis of Mild to Moderate Autism (Aspergers), Sensory Processing Disorder, Hypermobility and Dyspraxia.

The school are refusing to apply for a statement as they said they do not have enough "evidence" to apply for one - and to be honest I can see their point of view but they have said they will support us if we want to go for one ourselves.

Due to this I feel that his IEP should then reflect the level of support that he needs. The last one was very wishy washy as we were awaiting the diagnosis. Below is what I feel should be in his IEP, but am I being realistic and thinking along the correct lines as to what it should cover and so the school can provide.

1) Verbal instructions for things like Homework/ bringing in certain stuff (Eg plastic bottles for an activity) or changes to previous instructions to be written down in a communication book.

2) Any problems in school (for example when he has a meltdown and tries to climb the fence to escape) to be written in book and also from home if there are things that may be affecting his behaviour.

3) Occupational Therapy exercises designed for him to help with his hyperflexibity and his sensory integration to be carried out everyday as suggested by his O.T. (I know for a fact they told his OT that they do this and dont!) and for it to be written in communication book when done (needs adult input for them to be carried out).

4) Handwriting input as letter formation is still poor, but if he is reminded eg. the tail of the letter g goes under the line - he can do it. So, with input it would become the "norm" for him to do this.

5) Reminders given about the lunchtime club as my son is often alone at break times as he doesn't enjoy football and forgets the clubs are on.

Is this realistic? Any other thoughts you may have I would be really grateful for

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 09-Oct-12 14:06:34

They sound like rules for the school rather than an IEP.

An IEP target would look something like this:

For ds to have complete 3 ??? each day with 80% accuracy by half term. He will be supported to achieve this target by xxxxx

myBOYSareBONKERS Tue 09-Oct-12 17:24:53

So I could state: OT exercises to be carried out daily and supported by XXX.

Individual hand writing practice to be carried out 3 times a week by xxxx with review at next IEP meeting

XXX to be given verbal reminders/instructions but will also have a communication book to back-up his reminders. To be reviewed at next IEP for the accuracy of relaying messages

Ineedalife Tue 09-Oct-12 17:42:45

Number 3 would have to say something like DS to work towards accurately relaying verbal messages. supported by xx using a communication book.

Or something similar, it needs to be something that your Ds can work on with support not something that the school have to remember. IMU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now