Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS1, 6, constantly feeling sick (ASD, anxiety-based) - time to try medication?

(10 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Tue 09-Oct-12 09:45:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SheelaNeGig Tue 09-Oct-12 09:51:24

No ideas. DD has been constantly feeling sick for years. Every day 'i feel sick' over and over.

HotheadPaisan Tue 09-Oct-12 09:57:57

SheelaNeGig Tue 09-Oct-12 10:02:19

We never went down the medication route (see my current thread dilemma!). But did do ruling out physicsl stuff. I've never been convinced its not at least partly her rubbish diet but it is also partly anxiety and just feeling kind of weird and sensory wrong.

Telling her that has never worked though. Shes much better (all round) than she used to be.

SheelaNeGig Tue 09-Oct-12 10:03:46

DD is completely addicted to sucking mints because she read on the internet that mints help with nausea. Costs me a small fortune and is a massive issue if we run out.

hazeyjane Tue 09-Oct-12 11:57:22

Hello Hothead Paisan, has your ds had any refluxy symptoms? Dd1 was referred to paeds last month because she was losing weight, and was constantly run down, and always feeling sick. She suffers a lot from anxiety, which has been much worse in the last year. The paed asked loads of questions and concluded she may have reflux, which is exacerbated by stress. It does fit in with loads of other symptoms she has had over the years - difficulty feeding, poor weight gain, bad breath, persistent night time cough etc. She has started on omperazole and I feel we are starting to see an improvement. Although she still can't eat breakfast because she feels too nauseous in the morning.

Just an idea!

HotheadPaisan Tue 09-Oct-12 12:05:15

hazeyjane Tue 09-Oct-12 12:32:12

Hahaha, formal would be, Ms Hothead Paisan, or just Ma'am, I am a hand squeezer rather than a hugger!!

Glad you have an appointment.

HotheadPaisan Tue 09-Oct-12 12:48:11

moosemama Tue 09-Oct-12 17:59:05

I was going to suggest the same as hazeyjane.

We went through a couple of really bad years with ds like this, between the ages of about 7 and 9. He used to feel nauseaus all the time and eventually started to retch and even throw up a small amount of each meal.

He also has the constant toilet-trips when his anxiety levels are high and when they're at their worst he gets migraines.

It turned out that the nausea, retching and throwing up small amounts of food was being caused by reflux, due to the excess acid caused by anxiety. Paed wouldn't give him prophylaxis for it, as it's episodic according to stress etc, but we have found that as his support increased at school and he started to feel more relaxed the symptoms diminished.

Sure enough, the start of this school year has been disasterous and we have all the same symptoms back, along with more and more tics every day, which are a clear indicator of stress levels.

We're now looking at going back to the paed, because his weight has dropped dangerously low and I'm thinking it could be related to silent reflux.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now