Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need the invaluable advice of you all - ASD meeting.

(7 Posts)
PedanticPanda Tue 09-Oct-12 09:22:46

I've a meeting tomorrow for my DS who has just been dx with AS (we'd still be waiting another few years for dx if it wasn't for the help here!).

The meeting is with camhs, and they've invited along the HT, EP, SALT, and paed. It's to decide what help DS should receive.

Is there anything I should insist on or ask about? Ds is now in a mainstream school with an asd base, although he's in a mainstream class just now. Could I ask if he could make use of the sensory room there or would that be a big no as he's in ms class? What therapies or strategies are available that I could ask about? Thanks x

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 09-Oct-12 09:43:53

The most important thing IMO, is to establish a system of communication and the recording of outcomes and evidence of progress.

So, you could draw up a template with 'name, date, time spent with ds/staff, strategies implemented/advice given/recomendations, and outcomes' and ask anyone who ever went into the school on your ds' behalf to spend one minute filling it in to be photocopied. One copy for a team file (so they can ensure a joined up approach) and one copy for you at home so you can reinforce and support their work.

In terms of help, the very best 'help' you can get is an accurate description and assessment of the areas he needs help with. Ask the SALT to do a SALT assessment, the EP to do a cognitive assessment, and the paed to do whatever paeds do.

Once you have a picture of need, you can start asking for resources to meet that need.

PedanticPanda Tue 09-Oct-12 09:52:59

Great thanks for the advice starlight, he's had a cognitive assessment by the clinical psych at camhs, he was in the 13th percentile for his processing speed, 16th percentile for visual processing, and 52nd percentile for his verbal commands, so should I ask them for strategies to help deal with his slow processing speed and how he understands tasks written down?

Or should the educational psychologist do different assessments?

PedanticPanda Tue 09-Oct-12 09:53:42

Oh he's 5 btw, I should have mentioned that earlier blush

bochead Tue 09-Oct-12 10:01:57

The pead should check for motor & sensory issues in the abscence of an OT, perhaps auditory processing & visual tracking if able. Many ASD kids have issues with fine motor control - very relevant for writing.

SALT should deffo assess and come up with a programme of intervention. Don't forget to get his receptive language checked - eg how easily and to what extent does he understand instructions given in the classroom, not just his expressive speech.

sallyneedssleep Tue 09-Oct-12 10:31:29

I agree about getting his receptive language checked. One of the main issues for HFA/AS kids in ms is that it is assumed they understand because they can speak. If those working with him understand right from the start that he may have difficulties understanding instructions or retaining information relating to certain tasks then it will cause less frustration on all sides.
My DS1 could wax lyrical about all sorts of stuff he'd just read in the encyclopaedia he was holding but became completely stuck when his teacher asked him to put the book back on the shelf and collect some pencils. 2 part instructions really floor him.

PedanticPanda Tue 09-Oct-12 23:09:02

Great thanks, I'm going to take notes in of what yous have said so I don't forget. Thanks for the advice thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now