Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So, first appointment on the road to assesment tomorrow.

(14 Posts)
GhostofMammaTJ Mon 08-Oct-12 20:24:14

Wish me luck. This appointment is with the paediatrician at the local hospital. I am hoping they won't dismiss it out of hand but refer to CAHMS.

I am on my period, so tears will be easy. I am drinking wine, so hangover should add to the effect.

My friend tells me they kept telling her that as she didn't cry she could obviously cope, so her son was not too bad. I am going to avoid that. Any other advice?

coff33pot Mon 08-Oct-12 20:51:21

Good luck! smile

Make a note of all the things you wish to bring up and concerns you have so that you dont get side tracked when other questions are asked.

make a note of milestones reached and when ie. first talking, first walking, toileting etc use videos or photos to help jog your memory.

Take a diary if you have made one of things that you consider an issue x

Keep calm and if he plays up let it go as the more your pead sees how things are the better x

GhostofMammaTJ Mon 08-Oct-12 22:58:29

She has reached all milestone as required, but, she is 7 and sits in the quiet corner colouring and is bullied and noone sticks up for her.
She wants to please mummy and be good but she always know better and just can't.

bizzey Mon 08-Oct-12 23:07:13

Good luck..Good luck ! Remember you are her mummy and YOU know her best...let us know how you get on x

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 09-Oct-12 07:06:55

I will do. Getting so nervous now because it is so important. The school tells me there are no problems despite them asking if she has urine inf because she keeps asking to go to the loo. I tell them she is fine, she is just doing that because she doesn't want to sit and concentrate.

They say she sits ans hums and annoys and alienates the other kis too.

But she is fine!!!

coff33pot Tue 09-Oct-12 08:28:23

Sending positive vibes for today x

starfish71 Tue 09-Oct-12 08:43:12

Good luck for today, hope all goes well x

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 09-Oct-12 16:25:16

Those positive vibes must have worked. I feel like I am believed!

It was not just the normal paed as I thought, but an ADHD clinic.

The doctor was wonderful. She said she cannot give a diagnosis straight away, but she sees before her a very fidgety and demanding child (this was a good day and that was said in response to me saying she was making me a liar by behaving so well).

She also said that if she has it, she will need an OT app and that takes ages, so she will refer now to start the ball rolling.

Also that if she has it that any meds used to treat it will be contra indicated by her heart condition so she will write to the cardiologist straight away.

So, what do you all think? Is this as positive as I think it is?

Also, why does she need OT for ADHD? <ignorant as just starting with all this>

Handywoman Tue 09-Oct-12 17:28:16

Sounds like it went well, GoMTJ! The Prof sounds very pro-active and on the ball. ADHD is often accompanied by gross motor issues, which must be why the referred to OT.

When are you going back to have the formal assessment?

HW
x

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 09-Oct-12 17:33:57

We are going to have another appointment in four months time. She said it will take that long to get the reports back from the school. I was worried about those, but after her saying about the ADHD nurse going in if they disagree, I feel less so.
My DD could fall over a brack in the pavement, or indeed a fallen hair, so I agree with that much.

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 09-Oct-12 17:34:08

Crack*

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 09-Oct-12 20:38:15

Just remembered she was asking about sensory stuff and clothes. DD hates tight clothes, luckily she looks awesome in pretty floaty frocks. She asked about fabrics and DD volunteered the information that she likes soft material that she can stroke.

coff33pot Wed 10-Oct-12 09:04:39

Glad it went well smile and that the proff is thinking head about waiting times and getting referrals done early.

you can relax a little now you have jumped the first hurdle smile

Maybe worth asking OT to do a sensory profile with you also to pinpoint sensory issues like tactile (touch or clothing issues) noise or sensory seeking issues etc to give you a bigger picture of what is going on x

GhostofMammaTJ Wed 10-Oct-12 09:27:13

I think that might be what the referal is for. Certainly OT was mentioned at around the same time as sensory stuff. All a bit of a blur. We werein there an hour, very intense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now