Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do you look for private Physios and OTs?

(10 Posts)
LemonJues Mon 08-Oct-12 20:07:15

I'm a mum looking to go back to work part time with my current employers and would like to supplement my reduced income by doing some private physiotherapy sessions. Another colleague (a paediatric OT) who has reduced her hours too is also thinking of doing the same. We'd like to know how parents of children with SN find private physios/OTs. I know word of mouth is very powerful and trusted but as we are new to working privately we are looking for the most effective ways of marketing ourselves. Should we be placing leaflets on boards at community centres, local yoga centres and other places that parents and kids frequent (eg. Bookshops, cafes), or do most people search online? Are there other ways you have found private therapists? Many thanks.

inappropriatelyemployed Mon 08-Oct-12 20:11:45

Word of mouth mainly - especially therapists who are prepared to give evidence at Tribunals! Or organisations like SOS-SEN

Jerbil Mon 08-Oct-12 20:17:21

We had a physio recommended to us by an ed psych. the ed psych was someone i just rang up to chat to about the possibility of getting an EP assessment. she was v honest and said to do that first as it was less money. which regions are you in? I'm in the NW and could recommend one.

babiki Mon 08-Oct-12 20:21:04

I always look online, as don't know many people with SN kids in real webpages is a must!

porridgelover Mon 08-Oct-12 23:37:58

I would look at the CSP/ BAOT website and after that try researching someone on th'internet. As above, I dont know very many parents of SN kids in RL.

LemonJues Tue 09-Oct-12 02:30:18

Thank you for your responses. Hadn't thought about linking in with Ed Psych. I'm based in central and W+NW London. inapprpriatelyemployed thanks for the tip on SOS!SEN.
porridgelover and babiki I'm listed under CSP, so can be found but don't yet have a website.

thereonthestair Thu 11-Oct-12 17:40:30

what kind of physio are you? In our case (CP) we first looked at Bobath trained, and then we actually got a recommendation from the NHS team our physio used to work in. I had to be very pushy to get the NHS recommendation as I know they were not allowed to make that recommendation to us.

LemonJues Fri 12-Oct-12 01:48:37

Thereonthestair It's probably a little known fact that if you're looking for a Bobath trained therapist, you can call the Bobath Centre in London and ask for the contact details of 2-3 Bobath trained therapists in your region who are willing to take on private clients. I am Bobath trained myself and a former commitee member of BABTT (British assocof Bobath trained therapists)

sneezecakesmum Fri 12-Oct-12 11:28:27

Mumsnet have a classified ad section, I believe. Never looked there though!

thereonthestair Fri 12-Oct-12 14:35:09

Well I didn't know that... so certainly soemthing to stress. If youy may be coming out further north (herts/essex/cambs/beds) my current physio is overworked and refusing new clients

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: