Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism and co-occuring conditions

(19 Posts)
thriftychic Mon 08-Oct-12 18:36:47

ds2 (13) is waiting for furthur assessment . i have heard that epilepsy , low muscle tone and immune disorders are often linked to asd.
ds2 has all 3 of them, although the immunodeficiency and low muscle tone were more a problem when he was younger.

does that make it more likely he is also asd ?
how many others with asd also have these conditions ?

zen1 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:51:32

DS3 (3) has ASD and also low muscle tone and hypermobility. When I saw a neurologist, I asked whether there was a higher incidence of hypermobility in children with ASD and she said that anecdotally she had heard this, but I don't think any studies have been done (may be wrong about that though).

DS2 has ASD , moderate LDs, low muscle tone (hypotonia) and hypermobility too. Also dyspraxia.

DD1 has ADHD, hypermobility dyslexia and dyspraxia and has (as a university student now!) been offered ASD assessment!

DD2 has low muscle tone and hypermobility and is not remotely on the spectrum.

DS1 is just annoying grin

I think there IS a higher incidence in muscle tone problems in children with ASD but a there are many other factors too. In my own family we have so many low tone hypermobile individuals it's a miracle we can move! Ds2 simply seems to have got it the worst.

ouryve Mon 08-Oct-12 19:30:52

DS2 has ASD with hypermobility and low tone.
DS1 has ASD and ADHD but isn't particularly bendy. He does appear to be hypermobile like me, though - very tense muscles and stiffness being a big problem rather than bendiness and he suffers a lot with knee pains.

Doraemon Mon 08-Oct-12 19:49:22

DS1 has ASD and some degree of hypermobility. He has an absent septum pellucidum.
DS2 is as far as we know NT but is hypermobile (and very proud of his status as the bendiest member of the family).
Both boys have a rare hereditary metabolic condition called acrodermatitis enteropathica - no link to ASD. Both were born premature.
I have hypermobility and am NT although I do very much recognise some of DS1s ASD traits in myself.
DC3 is due in March, am keeping fingers crossed that we might actually have one bog standard child!

NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 08-Oct-12 20:09:04

Ds has AS and is hypermobile.
Although I suspect ASD symptoms in other members of DH's family as far as I know noone else is hypermobile.
Ds also has OCD and dyslexia.

thriftychic Tue 09-Oct-12 17:46:27

nobody with epilepsy or immunodeficiency?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:49:49

my DD has very low muscle tone, extreme difficulties with motor planning and is very hypermobile too.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:50:19

(she is 6 next week and cannot physically post a letter in a letterbox)

drypond Tue 09-Oct-12 17:58:10

my ds as suspected autism and also a problem with his immune system but they haven't pin pointed the exact cause but its his pneumoccocal response and hib response that is low, he suffers from recurrent infections rare in a child his age

MsNg Tue 09-Oct-12 19:59:11

DS has Ehlers Danlos type III (Hypermobility) and ASD, there does seem to be some tentative linking in the literature now, but loads of anecdotal evidence. His immune system, at least so far, appears bomb-proof.

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 20:00:32

My children both have autism. Both are hypermobile and my youngest also has ADHD. My eldest also has erbs palsy, but this is a birth injury and not connected to anything apart from the doctor being totally incompetent

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 20:02:42

Oh, they both have a severe gluten intolerance and get gf food on prescription.

My eldest has issues with soiling, which the paed insists is his choice hmm but I am convinced it is something he simply cannot help. Youngest rarely has soiling problems and then only when he doesn't want to go to the loo cos he's busy grin

thriftychic Tue 09-Oct-12 21:40:43

drypond , what age is your ds ? we were told ds had poor response to those aswell , he also had low immunoglobulins i think igA and another one . He had severe hayfever and sky high igE levels also. His immune system has improved since hes got older and his hayfever is now under control thanks to a de-sensitization he took part in for 3 years .

beautifulgirls Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:43

Hi thriftychick - DD#1 has ASD, hypermobile joints, dyspraxia and verbal dyspraxia and APD. In her case there is a genetic problem where she is missing a small piece of one chromosome that is likely underlying all of her issues. I would urge you to get this checked out for your DS. Interestingly while she doesn't have epilepsy one of the reported issues with this particular chromosomal disorder can also be epilepsy. Inbox me if you want any more info.

Ineedalife Tue 09-Oct-12 21:52:42

Dd3 has ASD, low tone and hypermobility syndrome.

She is very bendy but has shortend achillies tendons due to ankle weakness.

She also has poor motor function 16th percentile, to good to access support though.

She has some dyslexic tendencies but again borderline.

LateDeveloper Tue 09-Oct-12 22:02:27

Ds age 6 has asd, gdd, he has dx of dyspraxic traits, absence seizures and a degree of hypermobility in his wrists . He is more bouncy than bendy tho! No imunodeficiency as such but does get more colds and coughs than average.

LateDeveloper Tue 09-Oct-12 22:02:29

Ds age 6 has asd, gdd, he has dx of dyspraxic traits, absence seizures and a degree of hypermobility in his wrists . He is more bouncy than bendy tho! No imunodeficiency as such but does get more colds and coughs than average.

drypond Wed 10-Oct-12 20:15:48

my ds is almost 4, he goes to the childrens hospital next month, there is quite a strong family history of hypermobility and asd in my family also.... i am hypermobile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now