Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Those of you who work, how do you make it work? Those of you who had/have jobs you love?

(6 Posts)
Wickerman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:00:21

I've posted in the lone parents thread as well, but I keep going round and round in circles about how to manage this. My previous childcare arrangements - a succession of cheap foreign students - are no longer adequate as my daughter's condition has deteriorated and I need to pay someone more qualified more money. I'm self employed and as I've already had to take several months off work in the past 2 years owing to both my daughters' health conditions and some other family issues, I'm in despair. My xh doesn't give us enough money to cover all our needs, and I need and want to work in a career that I absolutely love. And we need the money for now and for the future.Yet I don't want to leave my dd with inadequate care. I have been struggling with this issues in different forms for many years and it's really grinding me down. My xh has the girls every other wkd and his glittering career remains unaffected. It's obviously not his fault that her condition, and that of her sister, are bad at the moment, but I really resent him.

lisad123 Mon 08-Oct-12 17:02:08

how old are the girls and what is there condition. I think its quite hard to help without this info.

madwomanintheattic Mon 08-Oct-12 17:07:49

I have only managed ft and lengthy employment using nannies, tbh. Some of them did not have specific health or sn experience, but had the aptitude and willingness (and lack of embarrassment about going outside frequently with a kid in a wheelchair) to learn how to deal with the health roofs and therapies etc.

'Waving not drowning' used to run an advice service for those in receipt of direct payments etc. A company called 'Cool2Care' offers a more specialized childcare service in some areas.

I work pt now, and in an entry level job. It's a juggle.

Wickerman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:13:49

One has severe OCD, which comes in bouts, but which always requires a childcarer who understands the condition and how to manage it, and the other one has immune issues which mean she is off school for nearly the whole winter every year. I might check out those childcare companies, thanks.

signandsmile Mon 08-Oct-12 19:10:28

I had to stop my previous profession (Social Worker) but I teach for the OU now, (yes it is very part time and not good money compared with SW) but it fits round the care needs of dh and ds, is mostly from home, and I have to say I have found the OU to be a very good employer for carers..

lisad123 Mon 08-Oct-12 19:21:49

I too used to work for SS as a family support worker working with CP families and those that had lost care of their children. It was a very interesting job and one I loved but after dd2 I went into community work with families in need. I gave that up after dd2 was also dx with autism.
I now work one afternoon a week with teenagers who are pregnant or had babies. I also do freelance work running parenting courses in the community.
It all fits in very well but I do feel like I have stalled in my career but there is little I can do about that, maybe once the girls are older.

I would say your best bet would be a nanny tbh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: