Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

camhs-parental interview

(3 Posts)
fedupwithmorningbattles Mon 08-Oct-12 09:48:19

Hello all, Ds is currently waiting for an appointment for further assessments poss ASD. It will involve playbased observation, school observation, and a 3 hour parental interview.

Has anyone else had similar? what can be expected especially for the parental interview.

Tiggles Mon 08-Oct-12 10:34:58

There is a very long parental interview I had to do for both DSs when they went through the dx process. It is meant to take upto 4 hours. It is a load of questions about things your DS does/doesn't do - and if they did them at age 4 (Assuming they are currently older as a school observation). So if you have any diaries of behaviour they will be really useful. Both times after mine I ended up emailing them saying I had found out the answer to some of the questions as I just wasn't sure before. e.g "Does your child nod/shake their head", ummm, genuinely hadn't ever thought about. After 2 weeks of watching out specifically for this I could say that I still hadn't noticed them doing so.
School observation - neither of my boys even noticed the assessors being there.
Playbased observation - probably ADOS, I wasn't allowed in so can't comment, although they did say with DS1 when he came out that he didn't stop talking about his latest obsession.

Ineedalife Mon 08-Oct-12 15:07:29

Yes, we had many over a period of 6 months. We met with a MH nurse who took history, asked loads of quetions, talked us through the diagnosis process etc.

We also did a DISCO assessment after this which was done by a psychiatrist and took around 5 hours.

We had to remember loads of info and like LMG I found myself checking things out such as, does she swing her arms when she walks!! I had never noticed.
And she doesnt she flaps, twitches and waves her arms about but it definitely couldnt be called swinginggrin

Good lucksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now