Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Previously dry at night now wetting the bed frequently

(5 Posts)
Catsdontcare Mon 08-Oct-12 07:30:46

Ds is 4 and half (ASD) and has been dry at night for the last 6 months. About a month ago he had a couple of bed wetting incidents and then was fine and now they are becoming more and more frequent (three nights in a row this week). I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a massive issue and he's still quite young but I am a bit gutted as it was great to have achieved it and it's always a worry if they go backwards on something.

oddgirl Mon 08-Oct-12 08:19:35

Ignore, ignore, ignore...my DS (now 7) with ASD often goes through months of being dry and then seems to have a spate of bed wetting...it seems to co-incide with a viral infection/cold or growth spurt coming. All I can guess is that the messages find it more difficult to get through at times like this as they are being blocked by other stuff. Not v scientific I am afraid but it does seem to also coincide with periods of worsening behaviour/poorer co-ordination/speech etc.

On the plus side, you may find after the episode has disappeared, your DS may have matured a bit if its in conjunction with a growth spurt. ironically we now see the return of bedwetting as a precurser to more maturity rather than a backwards step.

HTH

Catsdontcare Mon 08-Oct-12 08:30:58

Thank you odd girl that's interesting and a much more positive perspective than my current one! In my head I know just ignore and not make a big deal out of it so I just need to remember that!

eggsandwich Mon 08-Oct-12 09:49:47

I absolutely agree with ODDGIRL, my ds is 12 years old and where he had been dry day and night we get bouts of him wetting for no reason, thought its more common if he is ill. We don't make a big thing of it, though it can be a pain to be constantly washing. I also believe that coming up to puberty and maturing is a big factor.

Loueytb3 Mon 08-Oct-12 09:52:07

We've had the same - in our case it seems to happen with change or excitement. So when we are on holiday or staying somewhere different it often starts again. We had a spell when I was despairing because he was wetting the bed sometimes 2-3x per night and the washing was horrendous but then it just stopped. We haven't had an episode for quite a while now but we will be taking plastic sheets on holiday with us just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now