Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Car problem again

(12 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 14:46:27

DD1(who has sn, 6 years old) hurts dd2 (3.5 months)in the back of the car. Well at home too but in the car its worse as I can't safely intervene much.

I posted on here a while back and was given great ideas inc a crelling harness or a dog divider thing (which I now can't find!)

I got a second hand sn car seat with proper harness but it isn't a great fit in my car and also she can reach still albeit less easily.

I get high rate care and low rate mobility DLA for her, I have just had a quick google and it seems we can't get onto a mobility scheme-or is there a cheaper car leasing scheme I am missing? My car is all paid off but can't afford to replace it really otherwise I would consider a people carrier or a newer car which I could turn the airbag and off and put the baby in the front with me. Hmm. Any ideas or knowledge of options very much appreciated?

JJWMummy Sun 07-Oct-12 14:56:52

Do you mean dd2 is 3yrs 5 months or 3 1/2 months old?

If the older of the two I would put dd2 in the front as presumably forward facing now? The safer of the options as you won't be as distracted by issues in the back.

If the younger of the two, I would go to dealership and get them to turn airbag of, think most cars can have this done, just that some have to be done at a garage others can be done by driver. Might cost a bit but should be under a ton, and worth it in the long run.

I had this problem with my ds1 beating up ds2 in the back and ds1 had a nasty habit of jumping ship at the most inappropriate time, so now ds2 sits up front with me, also means child locks on in the back keep ds 1 safe.

HTH

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 15:12:14

DD2 is 3.5 months so will be rear facing a fair while. I may go and ask about the air bag tomorrow. I don't want dd1 in the front as she would fiddle with stuff and distract me but could I have a rear facing dd2 in the front or is that unsafe?

DD1s dad has an airbag you can switch on and off which would be much better so I wonder if we need to try and get a newer car but £££! It is hard work isn't it?! For now I am avoiding car journeys as much as poss but dd1 has lots of hospital appointments so we quite quickly had to be doing those (first one was when dd2 was ten days old which was stressful)

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 15:13:15

ps thank you that does help to know I am not the only one and others have found solutions!

JJWMummy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:36:29

What make is your car? Totally agree on the ££££ thing.

Absolutely impossible to avoid car journeys for us, need it for school run ( way to far for 5 yr old legs + need to be back from one school run in time for transport to deliver child!) and also for after school activities, medical/psych appts, the list goes on, you know the score.

Totally agree, DD1 in the front would prob be worse than having them both in the back to be honest.

By no means alone, probably loads of us with the same problem I would think.

used2bthin Sun 07-Oct-12 23:01:46

Its a nightmare isn't it! I am going to ring the car safety centre tomorrow to see if they can think of anything. Will report back if they have any ideas!

thenightsky Sun 07-Oct-12 23:14:13

Take the fuse out for the airbag. Put it back for MOT.

used2bthin Mon 08-Oct-12 13:40:31

Thanks but I'm afraid that would be too technical for me but I could ask the garage. Just spoke to the car safety centre and they had no products but did say when dd2 is six months a longer term rear facing car seat MAY protect her more if dd2 was also strapped in with a 5 point harness but we'd need to see. And in the mean time take the airbag off the front passenger and have dd2 in it. BUT that isn't as safe as the back seat.

I feel a bit anxious generally atm due to sleep deprivation and hormones and just know I will worry too much to have dd2 in the front. But then dd1 is getting quite seriously dangerous around dd2 so thats a risk too sad

SallyBear Mon 08-Oct-12 16:25:09

You can get the car dealership to fit a switch to turn the front facing airbag on and off. I got one fitted for my new Ford, as Ford don't fit them whereas Peugeots are standard fitted switches! It costs about £200 but its cheaper than changing cars. smile

used2bthin Mon 08-Oct-12 17:43:03

thank you sallybear that is great news, was that at a ford garage? I have a ford focus. Did you have the same issue?

I am not that keen on having dd2 in the front but that may be the only solution.

However I did phone cerebra today and they are getting back to me, they are looking into whether there are any existing products or whether one could be made.

SallyBear Mon 08-Oct-12 18:14:17

It was at a Ford Dealership. When I ordered the car, I rang Ford direct and none of them knew how it could be done. I spoke to the dealership and they said that it wouldn't be a problem. (Motability car btw) I had to sign a disclaimer acknowledging that I would be turning the airbag off. You can turn it back on again if you need to. I had previously had three different Peugeots over the years, and I could turn off the airbag with all of them. I used to put one of mine in the front as I had a space issue, I have four kids.

used2bthin Wed 10-Oct-12 21:17:06

Thanks sallybear. Amazingly dd1 hasn't actually hurt dd2 for a few days in or out of the car. I know that I probably shouldn't speak too soon as its all so dependant on her mood though and I'm sure it will happen again but a good couple of days. I will ring ford dealership though tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now