Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech and Language Therapy

(7 Posts)
Hannah44 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:11:18

Hi there!

I have just graduated with a First Class degree in psychology from Nottingham University and I am now very interested in a career in speech and language therapy. I am currently applying to do a masters in speech and language therapy at UCL and City University in London.

I was just wondering if any of you happen to know any speech and language therapists working in London that I could get into contact with regarding a possible job in admin or a related role. It would be a brilliant opportunity and the more experience I can get the better!

I would really appreciate any help smile

Thank you!


TheLightPassenger Sat 06-Oct-12 22:20:40

for nhs work, look at the nhs jobs website. TBH I think you would be better off with more hands on experience, working with the elderly/stroke patients/children with SN that is more likely to be on a voluntary than paid basis.

TheLightPassenger Sat 06-Oct-12 22:21:22

also worth looking for experience at a Surestart/children's centre (unfortunately again likely to be on a voluntary rather than paid basis these days)

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 06-Oct-12 22:37:12

You can come and work with my 5yr old once a week if you like!?

You can work with him through the 'Language for thinking' book and learn some ABA/PT wrt pronouns etc. and get experience of working with muddled and disordered language.

I live in London so PM me if you'd like to meet him.

WarmAndFuzzy Sun 07-Oct-12 00:16:42

You could try Blossom House school in Wimbledon (google them)? They specialise in those kinds of issues so they have a vast array of therapists.

bochead Sun 07-Oct-12 07:18:30

Most mainstream primary schools would love to have a committed knowledgable volunteer to work under a qualified speech and language therapist to run their social skills groups in London.

Another one plodding through "language for thinking" - this time with an 8 year old wink

Jackie Harland at the London Children's centre has links to the Riverston Trust - a charity which helps provide SALT. Ambitious about autism may also know of some openings - google them for contacts. Or google your local NAS group to volunteer. Your local hospital will have stroke victims galore who would love a volunteer to work under a qualified SALT.

For strictly admin roles - Brook Street at London Bridge seems to have a lot of NHS admin roles. Note your typing speed will have to be impeccable though.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 07-Oct-12 08:43:30

Boch are you going to the ioe tomorrow?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: