Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If an EP were to carry out cognitive assessments on your AS child, what tests would you reasonably expect them to do?

(11 Posts)
Iceflower Sat 06-Oct-12 09:05:14

After 12 months of asking, school asked for an EP to become involved, who observed ds and had no plans to carry out cognitive testing. I kept asking, and she finally agreed and spent an hour carrying out BAS3 testing.

I've looked at the test results and it seems very gappy to me, and a test which ds told me was done and she confirmed verbally was done was not included.

Anyway, back to the Subject, what tests would you expect to be carried out? I had previously booked an independent EP and am wondering whether to go ahead or not.

(I have applied for a statutory assessment, and if it goes ahead she will be preparing a full report)

bjkmummy Sat 06-Oct-12 09:42:36

not sure was BAS3 is but i know when my son was seen its quite basic the testing they do and they do not seem to go looking for any issues. i too have a private EP booked to see my son in november and it will be very interesting to see the difference

PedanticPanda Sat 06-Oct-12 10:06:34

My son had cognitive assessments done by a clinical psychologist, they tested his processing speed, verbal skills, and visual skills

PedanticPanda Sat 06-Oct-12 10:07:46

The verbal was how easily he could interpret verbal commands, and visual was how easily he could interpret something visual.

Iceflower Sat 06-Oct-12 12:43:26

Thanks for your responses. BAS3 refers to British Ability Scale v3. Only parts of the test were administered, and not all results were reported, and I think bjkmummy is right in that the testing is basic and not designed to look for issues.

I guess I'm wondering why WISC was't used (identifies key cognitive strengths and weaknesses related to learning disabilities, executive function, attention disorders, TBI, intellectual disability, and giftedness. Profile cognitive strengths and weaknesses and investigate the process through which a child arrives at responses to develop effective intervention strategies).

When my dd was assessed by an independent professional previously, they chose WISC.

I wanted an EP to help me find some answers and I think they are avoiding the question hmm.

coppertop Sat 06-Oct-12 17:13:40

When ds saw the Ed Psych, they carried out the full WISC test at school. It gave a very clear picture of ds' strengths and weaknesses and went a long way in explaining why he finds certain things very difficult.

coppertop Sat 06-Oct-12 17:14:48

Forgot to add that this was the local Ed Psych in a state school.

ilikemysleep Sat 06-Oct-12 21:55:30

Hello

The BAS 3 is the 'alternative' to the WISC. The WISC is standardised on American children whereas the BAS is standardised on British children. Both are very similar in the tests they do, the duration of testing, and the results they give.

As to whether EPS carry out which tests, that very much depends on the referral question. I recently saw a kid and didn't do a cognitive assessment as the difficulties were around her behaviour and were clearly socially based (behaviour deteriorated dramatically when mother was sent to prison for drug dealing and gang-involved father left with a number of kids) and the child had a clear record of doing well academically. So I spent the time doing 'personal construct psychology' which yielded a lot more useful information about her world view and what was going on in her head than a WISc would have. However if there is a failure to progress academically then I probably would do a WISC (or BAS...individual EPs trend to prefer one or other as they are equivalent) to see if it yielded any info. It doesn't always!

If you were to explain more fully what the question is around your child it might help answer what you could reasonably expect smile

Iceflower Sat 06-Oct-12 22:42:21

I likemysleep are you an EP? Ok, here goes.

Ds is 10. He taught himself to read at 2 but didn't really talk coherently till he was 3/4. He's very good at maths, esp mental but refuses to show any workings. However he can't get to grips with time calculations. He reads at least 5 years ahead of his chronological age (according to school). His French teacher says he is a gifted linguist. He is on the gifted register for a number of things. He still doesn't know the alphabet but his class teacher says he's the best speller in the year group of 60. He doesn't know what day of the week it is let alone month or year.

He won't do any work at school unless there is an TA sitting with him. He does not see the point of any of it and believes he can learn by himself. If he makes one mistake, he will be overcome with distress. He finds writing a struggle because of dyspraxia, and needs a scribe.

He hates school because "there is too much work", and is on the verge of school refusal.

I could go on but you get the gist smile

ilikemysleep Sat 06-Oct-12 23:00:56

Well, in your case I probably would do a cog assessment as he sounds spikey. I don't want to be too bald but the EP may have been observing his social communication skills as he sounds like he has that mix of advanced and delayed skills often found In HFA...obviously that would depend on his social interaction skills with peers. He obviously is hyperlexic (often an indicator of spectrum). He sounds remarkably like my own DS 3 who did the same, taught himself to read at 2.5 but had delayed speech (only a slight delay) and had a reading age of 7y 4m at 3y 11m....also a very advanced number manipulator! My son's social communication seems ok at present but I do monitor it as his elder brother has aspergers (also v early reader!).

ilikemysleep Sat 06-Oct-12 23:29:19

D'oh... Just spotted the 'AS child' bit in the title! Sorry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now