Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Clumsy child tendency to fall to one side

(12 Posts)
Jerbil Fri 05-Oct-12 17:26:33

DS2 is about to see a physio because he falls quite often. He is 3.9 years old. one of the questions I've been asked in the past by paediatrician and others is does he fall to one side? to be honest I'm always busy picking him up and don't seem to be aware so haven't given them an answer. But his teacher has told me today she thinks he tends to fall to the right when he falls over. I just wondered if you have any clues as to what significance this has.

Thanks

sneezecakesmum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:31:24

Hopefully the physio is experienced enough to detect any differences in movement and possible weakness/stiffness in his gait. They should also ask about DSs birth. Prematurity? Difficult birth? Severe neonatal illnesses?

Its possible (only possible!!!) that he has a mild hemiplegia caused by a small stroke before birth causing him to have more difficulty on one side.

tbh There are lots of things that need looking into. Has he had an MRI scan? If there are concerns then your DS needs a full neurological assessment by a neuro paed before reaching any conclusions. discuss this all with the physio too. PS Mild hemis are no major problem and usually dont hinder the child much in life smile

Jerbil Fri 05-Oct-12 21:50:28

Thanks sneeze - hate posting on a Friday - always think everyone's out enjoying themselves :-) He was a week prem, but planned CS due to previous difficult birth with DS1 (now dx with Aspergers & significant sensory processing difficulties). They did the 24 hour check late at about 36 hours (not a prob) and i'd noticed he'd slept 8 hours straight - breasfted babies don't tend to! they did a heel prick and he ended up on 3 or 4 days of iv antibiotics. turned out not to be bacterial, but was then jaundiced for another 5/6 weeks/ he also ended up on further oral antibiotics ( 2 TYPES) for an infection in his belly button. wow - memories!

Jerbil Sat 06-Oct-12 15:13:50

oops just realised I didn't answer one of your questions. No, he hasn't had an MRI or been referred to a Neuro Paed as yet. A community paediatrician and awaiting physio so far. Thanks.

madwomanintheattic Sat 06-Oct-12 15:37:19

Yy, they are just checking to see if specific sided weakness which could point to something like hemiplegia. (Probably as much to rule out, as well as in iykwim)

Interesting that they are just asking about falling though - does he have any issues with fine motor, crossing the midline? Or is he already /has he always been very distinctly right or left handed?

madwomanintheattic Sat 06-Oct-12 15:40:18

Crawling patterns? Absolutely standard? Or non standard and one of those kids who have a distinctive but efficient crawling pattern (should add that loads of kids drag a leg and are perfectly nt, but worth pondering alongside other signs). Bum shuffler?

W sitting? (Or modified W sit?) (again, this is really common! And not anything in isolation)

Jerbil Sat 06-Oct-12 16:39:33

nothing that I remember significant about crawling. He doesn't do buttons or zips up yet. can pull an easy zip down. can build some blocks, and doesn't ring too many alarm bells as yet for his age. though he struggles getting dressed etc. he is quite right handed and I remember the GP asking me if he actually uses his left hand as he didn't at the appt. he does though. just not all the time. He does sit W style! I'm aware of that because the podiatrist has asked me to ensure he doesn't as she thinks his ligaments are being stretched more. she does think his joints are a bit lax, but nothing significant. He's had insoles for a year now, but still falls. I look at him walking sometimes and his legs look a bit weak, and sometimes they seem to go round in circles rather than straight forward and back.

Sneezecakesmama Sat 06-Oct-12 22:48:26

Could be so many things. Even slightly hyper mobile joints can cause problems, not least discomfort walking that the child doesn't even express as its normal for them. You need to get a firm diagnosis one way or another so hat the correct support and treatment is given. Hate to think he is uncomfortable with stiff or lax joints. Keep pushing for answers, though I am sure it's not too serious if he's always had difficulty.

Jerbil Mon 08-Oct-12 15:40:58

Yes I don't think it's serious as in life threatening, however I do worry about the potential damage he will cause to himself. He does ask me to pick him up and when I ask why he says "because I can't walk very well". he said this morning "my brain hurts!". I asked where his brain is and he pointed to his leg! lol That's being 3 for you ;-)

alfiemama Tue 09-Oct-12 09:09:13

My ds 8 (ASD dx) used to be like this (not as much now) He had an ecg and a sleep induced ecg but nothing was conclusive.

Alfie used to fall and always land on the side of his head; in the end, he had to wear an epilepsy helmet as he was in and out of A & E, They put it down to him not having the reflexes to stop himself. The helmet kind of trained him to look in the forward direction instead of all over (which he was doing).

Alfie though, is extremely hypermobile. So much so we now have to see a surgeon. Have they checked for this? I ask because the Dr referred Alfie to the hospital initially who said absolutely nothing wrong with him. We appealed and got a second opinion. It was only when one of them bent his ankles back did we realise what the problem was as Alfie has an unusual case of hypermobility it bends one way but locks the other. It is no wonder he used to fall all the time as his ankles don't support his weight. Have you tried bending them to see the give? Alfie was under a physio (she discharged him after one-week hmm but never tried to bend his feet.

I hope you find the answers. I remember how scary a time it was for us.

Jerbil Tue 09-Oct-12 22:55:29

Thanks alfiemama. Yes he does have quite a bit of give in the ankles. Though obviously this isn't related to walking we can point his fingers and hand backwards so much that his fingers point towards his upper arm/elbow if that makes sense. I've looked at some of the hyper mobility stuff and he cannot pin his thumb down to his forearm however.

I know his knees go slightly further back than thy should too cos the paediatrician stated it, but she said it was nothing to worry about.

Jerbil Fri 12-Oct-12 18:53:54

Got a letter today confirming his hearing is ok and now we can proceed to the balance test under ENT. The letter confirmed that his recent blood test all normal except for a slightly elevated creatine kinase? The letter said they may repeat the blood Test in the future although this alone isnt cause for concern. Haven't a clue on this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now