Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

6 months between camhs appointments. Is this usual/legal?

(10 Posts)
BarryShitpeas Thu 04-Oct-12 13:07:17

Ds (5) had a first appointment with camhs a month ago. At the appointment the doctor said he had probable adhd and asd. They asked us to come back for a follow up appointment. Today we have been given a date for this next March. Is it usual to have to wait so long? Don't they have a responsibility to see him sooner, given that they think he will have conditions they can help with?

I feel like I am just waiting and waiting. School have got him an lsa but only for the afternoons. This will run out at Christmas. All this change and uncertainty is doing my head in, I genuinely feel like I'm going to explode.

Sorry to be whiny. Does anyone have any practical advice for my situation. Are the council within their rights to make us wait so long?

One last thing- I love you lot here. Have lurked a lot and read so much helpful stuff already.

bjkmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:12:35

sadly it is part of the course and sadly not unusual to have such a wide gap - it may simply be thats the next appointment or that the consultant has marked the file a 6 month appointments. you can give them a ring and try and get an earlier one or even a cancellation - i have done that in the past when i have needed to be seen sooner. also his age - 5 - adhd tends not to get dx until 6 although this depends on each child of course so it maybe that as he is so long they want to wait a little longer before a definite dx will be given

BarryShitpeas Thu 04-Oct-12 13:23:44

Thank you for your quick reply- I hadn't thought it might be deliberate.

I thought he should have one as quickly as possible in order to help with statementing? I think school are keen for him to be diagnosed as quickly as possible, as obviously they can then use the money to allocate a permanent lsa to him (he can be a danger in class to himself and others, pushing, biting etc). So school have been brilliant, I just feel I am hitting a brick wall with the Local Authority.

There is a TAC meeting set up for next week, so I shall see what they say then.

bjkmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:37:57

my son was a similar age when we began the process hence why the wouldnt dx until he was 6 so we did have a 6 month gap - he was dx with autism a year after than and was finally statemented when he was 8 so things can drag on - sadly its something you sort of grow used to but it is frustrating as you can see your child struggling and you want to get things moving asap to give them the best chance. after going through it twice now with my 2 sons, defiantely be on top of things and chase things. if they are deliberately streching the appointment time out then you really should know this rather than having to second guess everything which you end up doing over lots of things - dx,statementing - it just never seems to stop. thankfully the people on here are full of good advice

bjkmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:38:31

also is if school are behind you thats one of the biggest battles won and their support does goe an awfully long way

ouryve Thu 04-Oct-12 13:45:21

I htink 6 months is fairly usual. DS1 is on 3 monthly CAMHS appointments because of the medication he's on while DS2 has been bumped down to annual appointments by his paed because he's not presenting with anything new and worrying, but his progress is usually accompanied by behaviours so I don't want him to be dropped out of the system at such a young age, in case he springs anything on us that we can't deal with ourselves.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 04-Oct-12 14:55:31

Barry

Sounds par for the course I am sorry to say.

Would apply personally for the statement now from the LEA even though you do not have a firm diagnosis. Infact you do not need a diagnosis to apply for the statement.

www.ipsea.org.uk is a useful website re the whole statementing process.

TAC meetings can be a lot of hot air; they can promise much but can achieve very little.

BarryShitpeas Thu 04-Oct-12 15:07:40

God, this is where the voice of mn experience is really helpful.

Attila, if school are supportive (they got ed pysch, OT and camhs to see ds. They have got 15 hours lsa for him) should I ask them if they will apply for statement, or do it myself? Will take a look at the website you linked later.

Ourye- I was under the impression that at the next appointment they will make a firm diagnosis, I am probably kidding myself!

Bjkmummy- thanks for your experiences and advice. I will try to speak to senco at pick up now.

BarryShitpeas Thu 04-Oct-12 20:50:50

Atilla- if you don't have a dx doesn't it make it more difficult to get a statement?

pinknpurple Thu 04-Oct-12 21:00:51

Barry - I managed to get a sm without a dx and so have lots of others. It is based on need not a dx although you will have the LA trying to fob you off and saying he doesn't meet 'the criteria'. Your ds has quite a high number of hours of support already so there is clearly a need. Apply yourself then you know it's been done rather than rely on school who probably won't rush themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now