Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advise re DS and his hair

(5 Posts)
purpletinkhue Wed 03-Oct-12 17:54:21

Hi Guys
I need some advise if anyone can help.My DS is 15 years old and is in year 10 mainstream school. He has HFA. He has major issues with getting his hair cut to the point he will have a meltdown even at the thought of getting one.
Currently he gets approx two hair cuts a year.He likes to wear his hair long and he has a certain style that he feels most comfortable with,it is kind of floppy over his eyes to jaw legnth ,he describes it as an Emo style.He describle himself as Emo.
Anyway to the point, school are not happy with his hairstyle,they feel he hides behind it ,they want him to either cut it or clip it back.I know if I make him cut it he will never forgive me or return to school so that's a no go. Other solution is to clip it back so my question is if I get him to clip it back I feel it may start the other children picking on him, I don't say this lightly as we have had previous instances of bulling.So should we go ahead with the clipping back and deal with the fall out if any, or can you see another solution? thanks will be grateful for your advise on this.

LondonInBoots Wed 03-Oct-12 18:37:09

I can't see much of an issue with clipping it, my DB clips his long floppy hair back or uses an Alice band and did through school and it was never an issue with bullying etc, and he's not the most confident of lads.

Could you get his hair cornrowed or something as an alternative - still long, out of face and probably cool enough for teenage boys to not bother picking up on it? I don't like them personally, but they might solve the problem.

TirednessKills Wed 03-Oct-12 18:49:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

auntevil Wed 03-Oct-12 18:53:05

Strangely enough there was a question like this over on education. A parent was asking whether it was a reasonable request for a school to ask a boy to tie his hair back.
The resounding opinion was that if they asks girls with certain length hair to tie it back due to H&S then it had to apply to boys as well.
It is likely that there are other boys in his school that have been asked to tie their hair back. I bet that as soon as they are out of school, the hair goes down and they're 'floppy' again. I would also guess that they are not bullied for the reason of their hair though.
Have you asked the school how many other of the boys have been asked to tie their hair back. A number might be good. You could then say that the school has asked x boys already to tie their hair back - he needs to comply with this rule too.

purpletinkhue Wed 03-Oct-12 20:30:34

thanks for the comments ,we will go with clipping it back and hopfully wont have any issues. TirednessKills you are 100% right, he has little eye contact and it is easier for him in social situtations to blend in under his hair I think you will understand what I mean here
. I love his look as it has given him a new outlook to life but I understand I need to find a balance for school,thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now