Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Going against OH/family and possibly school. Is it me?

(4 Posts)
clare40 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:06:51

I strongly suspect my ds (age 5) has ADHD. My husband and his Mother disagree. My OH is not here during the week. School tells me he is just young, but in the next conversation that he is "very lively, works with the TA a lot, and stands out from his peers".

I'm going to the gp as I want him assessed as I feel he needs the right support and I need some answers. My ds is like a ping pong ball - climbing, jumping and shouting most of the time.

Am I wrong to go against the grain? We are managing - just. Or should I wait until school tells me there is a problem? What do you think?

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:42

If you have your own suspicions these should be addressed. You could well kick yourself otherwise for not doing so earlier. I would ask your GP to refer your son to a developmental paediatrician. The whole process of and to dx if such is reached may well be long and arduous, its all going to take along time.

Your son is already having TA support at school and is described as both "lively" and stands out from his peers (social problems could well prove to be more of an issue the further through school he goes). I would not therefore buy their explanation that he is "just young". Many staff within schools would not readily recognise a child with additional support needs let alone something as complex as ADHD potentially because they are simply not trained to do so.

Many men and other family members often go into denial in such circumstances but denial is not going to help anyone here, least of all your child.

You are truly his best and only advocate here. Be his advocate as well as his mother. A label should be primarily seen as a signpost to getting him more help.

Ineedalife Tue 02-Oct-12 16:46:06

You have to do what is right for your child at the end of the day.

There are loads of us on here who have gone against families and schools advice and have been proved right in the end.

For some of us it has taken years rather than months to get help for our children but we have stuck at it because we know our kids and know that they are going to need support in order to reach their full potential.

Good luck whatever you decide to dosmile

clare40 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:05:06

Thank you so much for replying. It's so tough as we have had a good evening tonight, and it makes me question whether they are right. I would love them to be, and in a year he would have stopped being a human ping pong, and it was just a horrible phase. In reality, I just can't see it happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now