Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

update on ds and his new school a happy thread for a change! :)

(23 Posts)
coff33pot Mon 01-Oct-12 12:55:22

Fed up to the hilt with the coffee household gloom so want to give credit to Ds and his new school.

They have been great. Marvellous infact. Listened, learned, took courses and involved whole school plus invited me.

Result? DS has attended every day FT since start of term. No horrible phone calls. 38 achievement stickers, award sticker towards whole class awards.

He has completed homework! and enjoys the schools online learning maths and science program's. clicker 6 is going on his computer to collectively boost his reading and so writing will follow)

He has attended assembly every day bar 1 as it was full of pirates. Has joined in singing with others. Has spent 40 mins in an hour lesson in the afternoons and is asking to be involved in carpet story time and show and tell.

Walks down corridor by himself to the class and was irate he had to have day off due to tooth extraction. It was cancelled and believe it or not he got dressed and said take me to school then smile

IEP is SMART and the school have provided all day support regardless of his statement saying only 25hrs.

Told me at a meeting and told DS himself he was a joy to teach and all school staff have commented on how polite he is.

Has joined a community club similar to what I would of called Sunday school and goes engineering after school club with no TA support.

This is the boy that the infants destroyed and has no faith in. Just goes to show when the school wants to help and works with the parents what our children are really made of smile

Ineedalife Mon 01-Oct-12 13:03:13

Wow, coff, that is amazing newsgrin

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dd3 has a similar experience at school since I moved her, there are some really good schools out there. I just wish they were all like it.

smile

moosemama Mon 01-Oct-12 13:28:40

Oh Coff, that is lovely to hear.

I am so pleased for your ds. smile

I really hope the old school get to hear about how well he's doing and realise that it was them, not him that was the problem. angry

It must be such a relief for you as well. I remember how I felt at the start of year 5 when ds1's new teachers told me that he was a delight and how much they missed him in class if he was off sick. Compared to his y4 teacher who continually told us that he was a huge problem to her and the rest of the class and that he knew how to behave - he just 'chose' not to. angry He's another one that hates having to be off school for any reason these days, whereas he was a flat out school refuser throughout y3 and 4.

We need more stories like this, so we can all start to believe these places are really out there for our dcs.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 01-Oct-12 13:41:06

brilliant news, what a difference!

Strongecoffeeismydrug Mon 01-Oct-12 14:05:06

That's lovely to read smile like you say the right school makes all the difference smile

merlincat Mon 01-Oct-12 14:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Mon 01-Oct-12 14:13:34

That's fantastic, coff33. grin I'm really, really pleased that something is going well for the coff33pots. I least your DS has a great school! They seem to have that 'can do' attitude and have actually listened to you and have realised that you are the expert on your DS, that you are in partnership with them in educating your DS, you are not their enemy. Hopefully, even when things go wrong or they make mistakes, there won't be a blame culture and you will all be able to work it out.

((((Hugs)))) for you all and let's hope this is the start of better things for all of you.

TirednessKills Mon 01-Oct-12 14:18:27

zzzzz Mon 01-Oct-12 14:23:40

Oh cofee I am crying! How truly wonderful. What a change from last term and what's brave clever boy.

HOOOOoOOOOOooOOOoNK of triumph!

(ooh it went a bit Tarzanish all by itself!)

starfish71 Mon 01-Oct-12 14:23:41

That's wonderful news! smile

coff33pot Mon 01-Oct-12 14:56:56

Thanks all and for the Tarzan super goose honk!

I didn't post about it because I thought it would all backfire with the home stress but it has continued regardless and so it only proves on top what understandings and support they are providing.

I am thrilled seeing as his attn span is technically 7 mins, never been assembly in his school life, would rather turn a chair upside down than sit on it or live in a cupboard, and refused to go all the time.

Infants told me 10 days after DX that with all those co morbid issues he would never last in a MS school. I did tell the HT it was because she was really admitting she didn't want to have him or help him and one day when he passes his exams I will march him in to apologise to him in person. That day is going to come smile

can't believe 2 schools next door to each other can be so different. The staff have constantly asked how well he is doing so I hope it's going back to burn her ears.

He now walks home and other children are speaking to him as they are seeing the real DS. Of course he ignores most still but has developed relationships with 2 others smile

ouryve Mon 01-Oct-12 16:00:34

That's fab news, Coff33. It's amazing what a difference a bit of sensitivity and planning can make.

babiki Mon 01-Oct-12 16:53:34

wow that's great, unreal how two schools can be different

whatthewhatthebleep Mon 01-Oct-12 19:24:56

oh you must have that wonderful puffed up proud feeling going on there coff ...lovely to hear DS is smiling and feeling so positive and enthusiastic about his new school...grin

I hope I will be able to feel this for my DS soon...and he finds his feet somewhere too.

ThoughtBen10WasBadPokemonOMG Mon 01-Oct-12 19:30:31

Absolutely fantastic smile

schoolworry Mon 01-Oct-12 19:39:45

That's really cheered me up coff smile. So,so pleased ds is happy and that there are schools out there who care.I am expecting the meeting from hell tomorrow at school sad. It's clear they don't want him - HT keeps glaring at ds and staff and other children have started to comment on it now angry. Feel like I'm going to explode with the stress of it all but won't give them the satisfaction bastards

moondog Mon 01-Oct-12 19:44:53

What GREAT news.
It's sometimes easy to forget there are many many people in the world of SEN who do an excellent job and actually want| to work with parents.

justaboutiswarm Mon 01-Oct-12 20:04:23

bialystockandbloom Mon 01-Oct-12 20:43:37

How utterly fantastic, I am so pleased to hear this smile

Wonder if there's a cunning way of contriving to make sure this reaches the ears of previous school. Maybe a disingenuous breezy email "thought you'd like to hear ds's progress..." wink

NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 01-Oct-12 20:47:05

Fantastic news. It really is great when you get a school who are prepared to put in some woirk. It is great for DS and amazing that he is doing so well in spite of previous awful experience and the stresses at home. Well done to all of you.

neverputasockinatoaster Mon 01-Oct-12 21:20:15

Oh, this is so lovely to read!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 01-Oct-12 21:32:46

Thank God you found these lovely people! But YOU did it Coff. Don't forget.

coff33pot Mon 01-Oct-12 23:21:03

All you Geese did it with me smile

If it wasnt for posting here in the early hours 20 months ago and you all allowing me to rant, moan, yell, spit my dummy out and have a general hissy fit every so often I would never have kept my cool through the dx process, statement or the awful school so thank you for having broad shoulders and a huge amount of precious advice x

I think DS had a lot of MN Aunties backing him all the way and what a great flock you make x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now