Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ventriculomegaly, ASD/Developmental Delay

(7 Posts)
SallyBear Sat 29-Sep-12 08:43:52

My DS4 was dx with Ventriculomegaly when he was a 24wk foetus. It was classified as borderline, and when he was 3 weeks old his brain was scanned and the fluid levels in the lateral ventricles had gone down to normal. Thank goodness!
Fast forwarding on, his development was extremely slow, didnt roll when he should have, late to crawl, sit, stand and walk etc. He has no speech and is deaf but that is unrelated. He was dx at 2 1/2 as having ASD but I am now wondering if he should have also been dx with Developmental Delay due to his poor gross motor skills.

Does anyone else have a child who was also dx with Ventriculomegaly prenatally, and have you wondered if this was the cause of your DC difficulties? Thanks.

lisad123 Sat 29-Sep-12 09:32:39

Sorry cant help as my DDs both have a dx of autism but both were physically delayed. It's not uncommon for children with Asd to have a number of dxes. My eldest had club foot, has tight leg muscles, auditory processing disorder and autism. Youngest has autism, hypo mobility, a stutter and sensory processing disorder.

notactuallyme Sat 29-Sep-12 12:38:42

i will pm you

notactuallyme Sat 29-Sep-12 12:39:59

pms not working, will try later

Lancelottie Sat 29-Sep-12 18:29:03

Sort of. He was classed like your son as borderline at the 20 week scan and rescanned four weeks later, when he was classed as just under the borderline. He has Asperger's (and is very bright). I've never heard of a link being suggested though -- am intrigued!

SallyBear Sat 29-Sep-12 18:35:47

There is definitely a link. It's a shame that we weren't made aware of this by Kings College Hospital at the time. I feel that I would have been more able to push for earlier intervention if I had known. We had Portage and a dx of ASD at the age of 2, but maybe we could have had more support for the physical aspects of his delay. confused

Doraemon Sat 29-Sep-12 20:38:31

I haven't heard of a link but DS1 has high functioning ASD (born 32 weeks gestation, normal brain scans other than absent septum pellucidum) and DS2 had borderline ventriculomegaly at 20 week scan, we were offered amniocentesis etc, sent to Sheffield for fetal MRI scan, but everything else looked normal, born at 34 weeks gestation, ultrasound of brain after birth normal, followed up as part of research project from Sheffield at age 2 and nothing unusual. He's now 5 and seems NT. He does have some issues with hypermobility but so do I.
I'm expecting DS3 and have 20 week scan in a couple of weeks time, booked to happen at a time when the consultant is around just in case anything off shows up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now