Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Katie Price's article in Guardian about Harvey's disabilities

(16 Posts)
dev9aug Fri 28-Sep-12 23:58:56

Link here... Can you imagine Katie Price at a SEN tribunal..

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 29-Sep-12 10:14:49

I love this bit!

She won't accept that wealth makes a difference. "Not at all. You get respite care anyway. There's lots of support," she says, revealing a very hazy grasp of the way local authority cuts are slashing services.

SallyBear Sat 29-Sep-12 10:17:08

It was the pile of DLA forms that did me, I am hoping that is just to keep Harvey's Blue Badge....

Iceflower Sat 29-Sep-12 11:08:44

SallyBear I was just about to say the same! Still, she's no different from David Cameron then hmm. Perhaps I'm doing them an injustice <trying to be evenhanded>.;at times, a dla award helps with accessing help which money can't buy.

I'm not a big fan, but really admire her for the way she's handling what she's been dealt with. It's easy to forget how young she was when she had Harvey.

WipsGlitter Sat 29-Sep-12 11:15:36

Do you think she shouldn't claim DLA? We probably don't "need" it but our social worker encouraged us to apply.

Ilovecake1 Sat 29-Sep-12 11:38:25

I must admit I really her honesty and think she a fab SN mum....I personally think its up to her whether she wants to claim DLA. At the end of the day we are all in this together, money or no money we all have a child with SN and raising our precious children isn't easy some days. I hope that I am not hated for writing the above!!

achillea Sat 29-Sep-12 11:50:58

You can get a TV on home insurance if your child has disabilities?

Good article, I like KP's openness and her natural and instinctive approach. i wouldn't want to be her mate, but she's defintitely doing the right thing by him. I do wish she would curb her language a little, she needs to grow up a bit.

I think in the early days things were different though, being let down after diagnosis is difficult and can make parents think they have a problem rather than a child. I'm sure Peter responded better, he seems to have always been very open and supportive about Harvey.

On the whole I think it's great that she takes him out with her and refuses to hide him away from the world.

achillea Sat 29-Sep-12 11:54:34

The DLA is for the child, although he doesn't need it there is a principle behind him getting it that means he is not dependent on her. It's a bit like child benefit in that respect, the moment you means test those you are taking certain entitlements away from the child.

SallyBear Sat 29-Sep-12 12:18:28

I am sure that she has set up a trust fund for Harvey to help care for him after her death. I agree that it's important to access support that DLA gives you, and I am sure that his DLA award is put into an account for him.
I hope that they're successful in their attempt to set up a Free School for SN. I know how emotional it is when the LA announce the closure of a school.
I admire her because, she is open about his difficulties and they must be making massive leaps forwards as his language was non existent at 5, and 5 years later he is talking. envy of that.
All in all I enjoyed the article, as her life is a circus and despite that she tries her absolute best for her kids. smile

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 29-Sep-12 12:38:01

I admire how she is upfront about her sons needs and have no issue with DLA but for her to imply that having money hasn't helped because respite is there for everyone really sticks in my throat.

Respite around here isabout as rare as one of willy wonkers golden tickets!

bochead Sat 29-Sep-12 13:25:45

I've met her and thinks she's bloody great!!!!!

People forget how harsh the media was with her when Harvey was born. She was blamed totally for his condition as she'd had a "party lifestyle". The Dad did a flit after calling her names under the sun too. large sections of the meeja and public wanted her to wear sack cloth and ashes and spend the rest of her life under a stone.

The fact she's still standing is a miracle in itself after all that - let alone the fact she will NOT shut up and has fought every step of the way to do the best she can means she'll always have my respect. People forget how young she was & that she's entirely "self-made" - no inherited wealth or amazing educational background as Cameron & his wife had.

She's far from naive and realised far more quickly the impact money, (and the fact she's of media interest!) has on outcome than I ever did.

Weather you like her personally means jack shit to her, so long as she continues to have the means and resources to do the best she can for her kids.

She also puts herself out in a private capacity without the constant media circus to do a lot for SN kids behind the scenes (which is how I came to meet her). I've met other celebrities who really are only at events for the photo opportunity, & actually couldn't give a damn about the kids themselves.

RingEir Sat 29-Sep-12 22:20:05

Overall I liked the article too, but what struck me most was her struggle to get Frankie Boyle to apologise for that vicious 'joke' he made about her and Harvey. I don't live in the UK and I had never heard of Boyle before, but I think it is incredible that comedians consistently get away with such offensive and hateful behaviour.

Pixel Sat 29-Sep-12 22:32:14

I know she's perfectly entitled to claim DLA (and as others have said it helps with BB etc too) but I wouldn't put myself through the torture of the dreaded forms if I didn't have to, I know that much!

I thought it was quite a good article except for the 'you get respite anyway' bit. Ds has never been to respite, the most help I've been offered is an afterschool club (he's still on the waiting list and I'd have to pay for it anyway so hmm).

justaboutiswarm Sat 29-Sep-12 23:46:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bochead Sun 30-Sep-12 10:55:34

She gets respite cos it'll be on the front pages of the news papers if she doesn't & her local authority knows it lol!

MammaTJisWearingGold Sun 30-Sep-12 21:34:36

Apart from the delusional bit about respite care, she comes across as a normal mum dealing with a lot of problems in the best way possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now