Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

15 IEP targets!!

(18 Posts)
wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:38:08

shock All because the SENco is keen to prove the school can meet his needs without a statement.......

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Sep-12 16:55:14

She hasn't read the guidelines, then, has she?

<weeps>

I'd say that was pretty substantive evidence that a statement is required, tbh.

Shot herself in the foot?

How does she intend that all fifteen targets will be met in the next six months, and what supports is she putting in place to ensure they are?

mymatemax Fri 28-Sep-12 17:03:20

What!! Nutter!
How is she going to impliment strategies to ensure 15 targets are achievable & monitor progress etc etc etc.
Sounds like she hasnt got a clue.

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:04:04

She has set November for the next IEP date - the tribunal hearing is then. He has 3 different TA's doing 20 minute interventions daily across 7 areas - so 20 * 5 * 7 = 11 hours or so out of class each week, the rest of time he in class with no designated support but access to like the rest of the class and I would cry if I was the class teacher at the length of the strategies list she is supposed to implement for one child.

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:07:41

She is the LA's one and only witness at tribunal as the EP can't make it so I think she is getting desperate........

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:23:56

Wow my adding up is bad so 15 * 20 = 5 hours not 11??

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:39

Completely bizarre. You'd think the ht would be quite keen to go for statement so that they at least stood a chance of getting extra funding for all that 1-1 time... Budgets being what they are...

People are so weird.

I'd be using it as evidence of need though, lol. (I assume you mean she is reviewing IEP in 6-8 weeks??? That is barking in itself. Six monthly, unless he's wee, and then termly.

The TAs must think she is crazy.

moosemama Fri 28-Sep-12 18:26:07

shock I got fed up when they tried to put five on ds1's IEP a couple of years back.

It think madwoman's right, she's shot herself in the foot with this and it should significantly strengthen your case.

Also agree it seems strange that the school don't want funding for all that 1:1 support. confused

Mind you, our school was the similar. I thought the issue was funding, but it now seems to be more about being told what to do and losing control. SENCO keeps banging on about needing flexibility to meet ds's needs - which basically means they've gone out of their way to interpret ds's statement in an er..... very creative way. The flexibility is all about making it easy for them to resource, nothing to do with what ds actually needs in terms of support. angry

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:58:55

The school are under pressure from the SEN Manager for the county not to ask for statements, not to require funding other than which is devolved to them. Basically I think they get hassle if they ask for either.

schoolworry Fri 28-Sep-12 19:00:23

You're right there Moose. LA have stressed how flexible school have been to ds - yes, having him attend part-time for a year because they didn't want to fund any additional support angry

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Sep-12 19:03:14

Hassle schmassle.

I wouldn't give a toss if I was the ht. I'd want the money to support the children.

<and again with the 'no wonder it's so hard to recruit head teachers' line>

This is why I had to leave my LSA job. Ridiculous amounts of politics and the kids as the lowest priority.

Harrumph.

With 15 targets, you've got bags of evidence of need, anyway. D you think she's trying to get you a statement without actually asking for one? Ie actually being deliberately helpful, even if she looks like a loon?

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 19:36:14

LOL - It is possible?? I guess......

Ineedalife Fri 28-Sep-12 19:49:48

FGS and I sometimes moan about my LA.

We have a standard for IEP's that we are obliged to use and it only has 3 boxes for targets. how on earth can they possibly expect your poor Ds to achieve 15 different targets.

No advice sorrysad

Ineedalife Fri 28-Sep-12 19:50:41

That should have been standard formblush

schoolworry Fri 28-Sep-12 19:57:43

She hasn't read the guidelines, then, has she?

No, but they are just that,guidelines. It is not a statutory requirement. (Well,that's what my LA likes to tell me when I query things hmm)

madwomanintheattic Fri 28-Sep-12 20:17:54

Rofl schoolworry! It would be unusual for them to ignore a 'Guideline' that involved lesswork, though grin

steelev48 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:40:06

For the last 2 year's my son's IEPs had about 12 or so targets on and I can't remember him meeting a single one.

wasuup3000 Fri 28-Sep-12 23:40:40

Going to have a day off from SEN paperwork and get back to it with fresh eyes in a day or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now