Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible dx for DS2

(7 Posts)
imawigglyworm Fri 28-Sep-12 11:40:42

Have just received the OT report from DS's visits a couple of weeks ago, we were originally referred for pica and passed from pillar to post (psychiatrist, cahms, etc).
Anyway the report says DS fits criteria to have a diagnosis of a sensory processing disorder.
I was under the impression from research online that it was OTs that diagnose SPD. so is this an actual diagnosis or has it been put to his paed to make an actual diagnosis?
X

imawigglyworm Mon 01-Oct-12 17:09:04

Bump smile

UnChartered Mon 01-Oct-12 17:16:56

it's a bloody minefield isn't it?

DD's dx letter said 'Dr X considers (DD) to have ASD', i had to call him to ask what he meant.

i think it could be your final dx, are you able to call too?

auntevil Mon 01-Oct-12 17:23:05

I think it depends on what you need the dx for.

I had reports from OT which were refused from evidence as they were not from a medical professional.
The paediatrician seems to hold most of the cards on this. I had a paed registrar dispute a senior highly qualified OT's expansive report by doing a few minutes test. She refused to put the findings in her letter.
Spoke to her boss, who said - that the OTs usually know best. She still wouldn't write it down though!

Ineedalife Mon 01-Oct-12 17:26:21

Dd3's letter says, Dd3 meets the criteria for a diagnosis of ASDconfused

She told us verbally that she was giving this diagnosis though so we already knew.

I would definitely ring and check.

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 09:07:00

Thanks Yeah I might have to give them a call then. It's never easy is it??
I don't NEED a dx for any real reason as not claiming DLA for him or anything at present. It's more for school etc to acknowledge that he does have a problem as they says he's a 'normal' child. Even though anything in sight ends up in his mouth, he is way behind on reading and writing, is easily distracted, hyper, sees SALT among other things. Also the possibility of going down the ADHD route if the exercises and techniques given by OT don't have any effect on him, again recommend by OT.
His paed is pretty useless tbh, it's been a nightmare being pushed from one paed/department to the next on top of loosing blood tests and not adding important info into his file.
But will see if I can get hold of her to see what she sats about it. X

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 09:10:31

Oh god auntevil. I don't see why they refer the dc if they aren't going to accept what the ot or any other professional is going to say! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now