Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Travel time to SS

(6 Posts)
Gottalovecosta Thu 27-Sep-12 19:18:41

What travel time would you consider as appropriate for your child?
The closest ASD school is 29.2 miles away, requiring a journey up the M6... he's 5 (nearly 6) - ASD/ADHD. It's a choice of this, or mainstream (which hasn't worked so far, but considering change of school to one which is more pro-active)

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 20:29:11

DS is 5 and gets picked up by his taxi at 7:40 for a 8:50 start. Somehow they get him home in 20mins from school chuck-out though hmm

Strongecoffeeismydrug Thu 27-Sep-12 20:42:34

I did the school run today and it took us 30 mins (2 motorways 16 miles) however it took us 2 hours 20 mins home (someone crashed on motorway closing 2 lanes) sad .gosh it was stressful but omg I would have been out of my mind with worry if he had been in the taxi.
But I've been told it will be an hour each way when transport starts tomorrow due to 4 kids having to be picked up from 4 different locations

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 20:52:15

Don't underestimate the benefit of having other kids in the taxi. It's the nearest thing to a social group ds has, and he returns calm having had time out and smiling as the taxi lot all shout out their goodbyes.

Gottalovecosta Sun 30-Sep-12 12:11:51

Thanks,
We went to view the SS on friday and all worries about travel time evaporated. He'll be in the taxi with another child and a carer with them, and he can take his ipad plus they have toys etc in the taxi to keep them occupied. The travel time is around an hour.
We were so impressed with the school and he liked it so much he had a meltdown while we were leaving as he didn't want to go! Have informed the LEA that's the school we want to name on his statement so got to go through getting the statement through, they are estimating a 5-6 week waiting period but have offered a private tutor at home for support in the meantime (he is currently not at school)

Nigel1 Sun 30-Sep-12 20:10:29

Law says 45 mins door to door in primary. Less if the transport is stressful. Up to 1.25 hrs for secondary school. What tends to happen is that he LA see that the child is on an existing route and add him onto the route forgetting the additional time it takes to go around the houses to pick the child up.
Have quiet chat with the driver and see his route and actual times. Then challenge transport department.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now