Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Story book recommendations for children with special needs help needed for an interview???

(11 Posts)
NotInTheMood Wed 26-Sep-12 14:51:47

My friend has an interview in a special needs school and as part of the interview she has to read a book to a small group of children. A few have behaviour issues and autistics and a few have Down's syndrome. Can anyone recommend any books or ideas she can take props if needed :-)))

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 26-Sep-12 16:25:53

My boy (who s autistic) loves the very hungry caterpillar, even though he's now 9, mainly cos he loves the list of food! If she makes sure they can all see the pictures as she reads - eg of Choc cake etc.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 26-Sep-12 16:46:39

What age are the DC? Picture books are usually popular, especially stories with a simple moral that you could take a few soft toys along as safe props. Maybe Julia Donaldson? Nothing too loud or ear piercing as some of the DC may have sensory issues. Not too long, but entertaining enough to keep their attention.

Make sure she doesn't use the term 'autistics' as it's rather offensive. My DS is a child first and he has ASD, he's not 'an autistic.' Or was it an autocorrect for 'autism?' smile

NotInTheMood Wed 26-Sep-12 17:03:09

Ah great advice thank you. Oh my just realised my error dam auto correct I do apologies :-)))

NotInTheMood Wed 26-Sep-12 17:03:26

Apologise

Vagaceratops Wed 26-Sep-12 17:10:58

My 5 yo loves anything with repetition - bear hunt, the gruffalo etc.

Nothing too long or complex.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 26-Sep-12 17:11:31

grin Was all ready to be a bit hmm , then thought it would make a lot more sense if it said 'autism.'

TirednessKills Wed 26-Sep-12 17:17:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 17:26:14

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 17:27:32

beatofthedrum Wed 26-Sep-12 17:30:30

I work in a special school and there isn't one class who hasn't enjoyed 'Eat Your Peas' by Kes Gray and Nick Sharrat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now