Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone used this EP before

(14 Posts)
claw4 Wed 26-Sep-12 10:14:32

David Urani?

Was he any good?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Sep-12 10:34:05

Will PM you!

But for the record, yes and yes.

claw4 Wed 26-Sep-12 10:35:37

Thanks Star!

silverfrog Wed 26-Sep-12 10:46:52

yes and yes.

he tells it like it is, has a reputation at tribunal for doing so (so no "oh, private EPs say anything because you pay them')

he assessed dd1 for tribunal, and is famed for disliking ABA(will only recommend if it is really the only suitable way for the child).

spent half the day with dd1 - we met him at lunchtime. he told us he was having trouble seeing why she needed ABA (she was already at ABA school), and he might not end up recommending. thankfully he need see the true dd1 in the afternoon, and did recommend.

I am convinced he is half (at least) the reason our LA settled before tribunal - he report was thorough and exacting.

dev9aug Wed 26-Sep-12 10:48:23

very busy though, We booked him last month and the earliest appointment was in early Decembershock so get in quick.

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 10:59:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

claw4 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:28:47

Oh good that is reassuring!

Can i ask what kind of information did you provide him with?

Yes Dev9aug, i have him booked for December too!

silverfrog Wed 26-Sep-12 11:34:15

I probably sent the statement bundle, claw (can't remember accurately, sorry), so LA assessments, and most recent OT/SALT (more was in process of being done for tribunal)

he was in touch with her school, though, and our ABA consultant, and our lawyers (we had the EP/lawyers we did as they made a good 'team' and were all happy working with each other). think we just said 'can you all talk to each other, and come back tous if there is anythign else you need to know'

and then he took it from there.

claw4 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:51:21

Thanks Silver, i dont want to give the poor guy too much info, but ds is so complex and the situation has got complex too, i feel the need to explain all the time, probably also due to ds being so totally misunderstood and me too!

Say for example just giving him copies of IEP's without explaining why they are wrong on so many levels or the fact that school/LA will say yes ds is a very anxious child, but we deal with it in such a lovely way, as they did with camhs etc.

When in fact, LA are writing to my GP telling him, ds is not anxious and he doesnt self harm and reporting me to SS. School appeared at last tribunal and also said school were not aware of this either.

IEP targets such as 'ds admitting when he is in the wrong', then SALT assessment a month later ds is a nervous wreck and getting extremely distressed about getting things wrong.

or his latest 'ds not to ask the teacher for help if he doesnt understand, but to ask the children sitting on his table' when it has already been observed numerous times by experts that ds just copies from other children and ds tells me he either just copies another childs work or they tell him the answers.

Do i need to make all these connections for him?

silverfrog Wed 26-Sep-12 12:09:53

yes, I can see your dilemma.

I would certainly set out the you vs school debacle, especially how they deny his issues etc.

we had the bonus of a professional who had wprked with dd1 for several days (ABA cons) so could tell him dd1's issues (they knew each other well), and also had the unexpected bonus that DU thought that the placement that our LA wanted dd1 at was the worst example of ASD provision he had ever come across, so he was already taking the school reports with a pinch of salt, iyswim.

you could try asking him how much detail/history/backstory he wants.

we found that he 'got' our issues - we didn't have to spend ages explaining why we thought something was wrong, he undestood why we felt (stopped fr 9 months after dd2 was born) and he 'got' that this was not typical, desirable, indicative of extreme need for control and manipulation - not rocket science, but any other HCP had only ever said "oh, that's difficult. thy csan be tricky, can't they? while dismissing our concerns re: the control element ("oh, all children act up when a sibling is born")

not a great example, sorry - am juggling ds and have 2 lots of workmen in the house - can't think straight!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Sep-12 12:28:28

Wot silver said. Tell him there is an un

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Sep-12 12:31:07

a history and relations have broken down and whether he wants any of this detail in advance of his assessment/observations.

He is very experienced and is likely to have come across enough to believe you story is at least plausible. He probably even knows your LA .

claw4 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:16:07

Thanks Silver, i understood perfectly!

I hope so Star.

Thanks again.

bialystockandbloom Wed 26-Sep-12 20:57:21

We used him too and would definitely recommend him. Like silver we used him mainly cos of his knowledge of ABA. He was very upfront and said if he didn't think it was suitable he wouldn't say so. But he was also supportive about what we were looking for, and genuinely listened to why we wanted what we did.

I would, also, give him the background and explain to him why you are seeking an independent EP opinion, and how the school are failing to understand (and therefore meet) ds's needs.

As Dev says, get in there quick, he gets booked up a few months in advance, and is usually away for most of December/Xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now