Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Individual Flute lessons in mainstream, asking 2 much?

(10 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:24:11

My little one who is 7yrs with ASD was given the opportunity to have flute/violin lessons in school MS. We have applied and she was allocated a place...but my problem is she will be in a group with 7 other children-none with SN! It's just going to be too much for her and no way she will learn and enjoy to play as she will realise very early on that others are playing better and she will feel like a failure! I really dont want that. I am going to write to the LA and ask if she can have 20mins allocated for her to have 1 to 1 tuition with the teacher. Am I asking to much? What key points should I include I the letter. Should this be included in her statement? Thanks.

mymatemax Tue 25-Sep-12 18:52:26

can the teacher give a couple of short taster sessions on a 1 to 1 to see if its something your dd will enjoy before you apply to the LA.
It just seems like alot of hassle for something she may not actually enjoy

NopofacehaveI Tue 25-Sep-12 19:15:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeeCoakley Tue 25-Sep-12 19:19:51

I would imagine these lessons are free if there is 7! Even group lessons are usually 3 max. Individual lessons are considerably more but if you are willing to pay and there is a peripatetic (sp) teacher available I can't see why they would refuse.

cansu Tue 25-Sep-12 19:41:30

The la charge schools for these lessons and most schools pass this on to the parents now. I think a lot would depend on whether you are willing to pay extra for a private lesson. I don't think they would find the lesson as part of her statement.

Ilovecake1 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:02:47

She will be having a taster session at the end of this week to see if she likes it. At the moment these lessons are free of charge which is a bonus, although I don't mind paying for individual lessons. I really don't think she will cope in a large group even with her one 2 one present.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:50

My DS learns the flute in with one other DC at £7 a half hour lesson in school. I've never heard of them being free!

coff33pot Tue 25-Sep-12 20:54:21

Flute is £6 half hour for group 4 usually in 10 week batches.

DS down for electric guitar and was told because he has a statement he is entitles to 1 to 1 regardless but he has to really want to do it as it would mean 3 other kids couldn't have a lesson then sad

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 25-Sep-12 21:01:23

That really puts the pressure on, then Coff. hmm Mind you, electric guitar sounds pretty cool. Hope you have earplugs at the ready. How's juniors going?

coff33pot Tue 25-Sep-12 21:12:11

It does put pressure on as for one it makes you feel bad that other kids willl miss out although why they cannot just have a different day for others I don't know. Also the dread that he changes his mind. Ear plugs are ready bit to be honest he plays a mean acoustic without any lessons and cords lol but I bought them as he was keen on the drums smile

I do a sep thread about his juniors as I got loads to tellsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now