Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Outdoor learning day - will it mean a bad day for DS?

(9 Posts)
TICKLETUMBLE Tue 25-Sep-12 11:03:12

So after having great improvements in behaviour and understanding at the start of school - mostly due to the class being tidy and less cluttered with toys and activities, expectations made clear and a clam atmosphere encouraged at the start of the day...today we have 'outside learning in the house groups'.

This evidently means all the routines have gone out the window. Different teacher, different classroom environment (stuff all over, chaos), all children thrown in together..................so the children were all buzzed up and excited...and mine was quite literally bouncing off the walls breakdancing in the classroom before I left...

Not the calm and sedate start to the day that leads to an engaged, attentive and compliant DS......

I am sure its great fun for the children to do something different, but it so early in the term and the new year routine has only just been established.

It confuses the hell out of DS when suddenly everything is different - 'what rules apply now?', he wonders..'.none until I am told otherwise', seems to be his logic..... sad

Lets hope the 1:1 TA really is doing her job and helping him understand and participate, and not just helping the teacher with the organised chaos, leaving DS to do whatever occurs to him while the boundaries and rules are unclear, which is usually not what he's been asked to do/is unsafe/or antisocial....

I would love it if he comes out today having had a really successful day...fingers crossed the progress made so far helps him cope with the extra fun day today.

worried mummy.........roll on 3pm.

TirednessKills Tue 25-Sep-12 13:07:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Triggles Tue 25-Sep-12 13:58:15

Fingers crossed it goes okay. I have to say that DS2 does tend to cope with "one off" changes of schedule if it's for an important event or special day - as long as it's not happening frequently. Maybe once every month at most. As long as he was prepared for it and reminded frequently that it's just one special day. Otherwise he would struggle.

chuckeyegg Tue 25-Sep-12 14:46:56

I hope it goes well for him. DS has had a tough time with changing personel with no notice. He had forest school last week where they go out and learn and he had loved it.

Let us know.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 25-Sep-12 15:05:43

Hope it went well. DS2 sometimes coped very well with big changes, so long as he enjoyed them! If there was a big change to something he wasn't all that keen on, he'd have a really bad day. Eg playing in the snow, he hates the cold, disaster. Party day, ok with the structured games, hated free play. Trip to a sewage works, he loved it!

But change the day slightly, if it changed from something he enjoyed (like maths) to something he hated, (like English) then he really couldn't cope with the 'wrongness' and injustice. smile

Hopefully your DS will have a great day and burnt off lots of energy, fingers crossed.

TICKLETUMBLE Tue 25-Sep-12 16:50:12

thank you for your comments. Not heard howit went yt...dad collects him from school.
Outside is good, everything is better outside as far as DS is conserned, so I may be worrying over nothing he may cope fine with the total change as expectations will have been explained as they go along.

non structured play /freeplay is when it all unravels a bit - not that he doesn't like it but just seems to get himself into a pickle and clearly does not understand what to do/what is right.........oh and and stopping something fun, even if its to go and do something else that is fun, can be a flashpoint too.

I am sure he will have loved the whole experience, regardless of behviour wobbles he might have, I just wonder if tomorrow he will be hell bent on working outside all day as its now been proven it can be done!!!

TICKLETUMBLE Wed 26-Sep-12 09:07:21

Twas a suceessful day....he was exhausted and full of beans about the day...........tired this morning though. Happy days!

chuckeyegg Wed 26-Sep-12 15:10:21

Brilliant! smile

TICKLETUMBLE Thu 27-Sep-12 09:13:36

Aha...it was the following day that it all went a bit pear shaped...but we'll let that go.....the change put him off his stride and the class was not quite back to normal after the outside event...all back to normal in the classroom today (with confident experienced teacher), and 4 rewards earned before he even left the house for remembering and following the rules and being thoughful/helpful. Happy days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now