Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Things are getting worse...

(7 Posts)
NotSENsible Tue 25-Sep-12 06:33:30

Have posted before about ds's problems with school and being put on part time hours for months due to apparent funding issues. He was also sent to a PRU for a while which we were told would help increase his self-esteem and enable strategies that were used there to be implemented back at school. Anyway, I have now seen a report that contradicts this. Shows that the plan was to increase his time at school when his supported lessons and time in school were successful and the number of incidents reduced. Because these objectives were not achieved he was sent to the PRU as a consequence!!
Is it me or does this sound like a kind of punishment of the behaviour that he has which is due to his SEN? His anxiety has increased because of not being able to attend full time education sad

cansu Tue 25-Sep-12 07:18:32

Do you think the school don't want your ds to be there? I ask this because whilst their attitude is deplorable I often think that if the head clearly doesn't want to try and make things work for whatever reason, it is counter productive for you and your ds to continue with the school. do you think the school is right for him and could meet his needs? have you looked round at other schools both mainstream and special? aybe consider looking round at independents as well. I think it is terrible that you have been messed around like this and that your ds has been on a part time timetable but I also think that you may be wasting your energy with this school.

Triggles Tue 25-Sep-12 07:46:28

It's difficult. I'd question whether a school that so obviously isn't interested in what's best for him will be the best place for him. Yes, you can push to have them forced to do it, but is that going to be best?

It's frustrating to me, as I see people struggling with schools that are not complying (or even attempting to comply) with statements and such, and the really horrendous situations end up with the child being moved to another school. On one hand, I think it's giving in and allowing the school to be horrible to someone in order to get the child off the rolls, but on the other hand, it's not fair on the child to have to be in the middle of the battle either.

Honestly, I wish that if these schools weren't complying that there was some way for there to be immediate consequences (huge fine and loss of job for headteacher for a start) so they sat up and paid attention. Obviously, this doesn't help in your situation. Sorry, just a side vent on my part.

I think you need to decide what is best for your ds and go from there. If that means moving school, then it needs to be considered.

Strongecoffeeismydrug Tue 25-Sep-12 07:52:17

I know it's on a much smaller scale but my son was at an ASD resource and they thought concequences should be handed out when actually they just couldn't cope.
It was only in a report that I found out DS and been losing all his lunch times and play times for making noises!!! FFA he has vocal tics and can't help it.
As soon as I found this out I complained about discrimination and he was soon moved to a school that can meet his needs

bochead Tue 25-Sep-12 07:52:35

It's time to look at the independent sector and Interlink High (online school).
Then demand an early annual review of his statement to change part 4 so he can on the roll of somewhere that cares about him.
The report you now have in your hand will stand you in good stead at Tribunal if needed for an independent place.

Personally I'd write off all hope of sending him back to a school which has proved that actually it's very dishonest.

I would however be sending a letter and a copy of your report to Ofstead about the nasty school - schools can now be classed as failing if they let down SEN pupils, but only if Ofstead are aware of the issues.

zzzzz Tue 25-Sep-12 09:10:17

Consider HE. Consider private options. Consider the whole child outcome not just social or academic, but the adult you are nurturing.

Take your own path and be brave.....it is a cold and windy place off the beaten track, but oh so worth it.

NotSENsible Tue 25-Sep-12 19:42:20

Thanks all for your advice. Things are now coming to a head as we've had lots of problems since start of term - mostly caused by staff making inappropriate remarks. A multi agency meeting is due and I told them the date that I could attend - but have been advised that it's the day before that hmm but they do hope that I can attend angry. Think that they are trying to get rid of ds and will be suggesting ' a fresh start' etc. especially since I complained about the lack of provision that they should have been supplying for ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now