Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statutory assessment...Is that it???

(7 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:56:54

Hi, we are in the process of applying for a statment for my daughter. She's been home educated for the past 18 months and is starting school on Tuesday. Our request for a statutory assessment was granted and they've gathered evidence and I've had to write the same answers to the same questions about for times.

Anyway, we were asked to come and see the Paed for an assessment. I thought Lucy would have to do certain tests, but all he did was ask me questions. The same bloody questions I'd aswered for times on various forms! Then he filled in his form with my answers. Then all he said was, "well, I think Lucy does have learning difficulties". I felt like saying "Are you sure??" hmm
I think that's it now, and they will make a decision either way. If they decide not too, I'll be so annoyed as I don't feel they assessed her at all.

mummyloveslucy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:59:15

four times even. (Maybe I need an assessment too) wink

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 23-Sep-12 20:05:47

Has she seen an educational pyschologist? TBH, the paed assessment for my DS's stat assess was just a formality as his paed had also submitted a report. He saw an EP, a SALT and the autism advisory teacher (as he has ASD.) his special pre school and his MS primary also submitted reports as did I. The LA paid most attention to the advisory teacher and the EP. HTH.

beautifulgirls Sun 23-Sep-12 20:18:05

She should be seeing professionals relating to all areas she has difficulty with. So, if her issues are co-ordination then an OT should see her, speech issues then a speech therapist should see her and yes overall an Ed Psych aswell to look at the impact of her issues on her learning compared to other children without such issues.

The paed appointment I wouldn't be to worried about. It will be to your advantage that they are going to say the same things you are saying as it just backs up your case. If you feel they have missed something then you need to get in touch and make sure this is included.

mummyloveslucy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:19:22

She did see an Ed psych, but that was when she was when she was 4.5. She's now 7.5. Her speech therapist and bowel and bladder nurse have also given reports.

mummyloveslucy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:23:48

Maybe there's more to come then? I can't see how they wouldn't give her a statment as her needs are very severe. I'm actually supprised a main stream school are willing to take her.

perceptionreality Mon 24-Sep-12 13:28:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now