Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sendist tribunal advice

(15 Posts)
Orange36 Sun 23-Sep-12 10:36:03

I am going to tribunal next week. My ds has asd and his needs were not met by his previous school. I removed him from school as I had a diagnosis of stress, anxiety and depression from the gp due to the school not supporting him. I have had to fight very hard and now my child has a statement and is attending another mainstream school. The school does have a integrated resource but my child doesn't have a placement within the unit. I am now fighting for a placement within the resource as he is spending as much time in the unit as the children who are allocated a place...

I realised that my child is very lucky but I am worried that the resource is becoming stretched and my child will have the opportunity removed from him.

I just wondered how many parents had been to tribunal to get the school name changed on there children's statement. Any advise for court??? What was it like??? Was it nerve recking??? How many won/ loss and what was the reasons???
Many thanks

perceptionreality Sun 23-Sep-12 12:35:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

perceptionreality Sun 23-Sep-12 12:36:46

Orange36 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:15:13

The school are supporting me (hopefully) they have put in writing to the lea that my ds needs are not the highest in the resource unit but more than a lot... I'm hoping that will be a good statement of support... He attends the unit as much as others and is treated as a equal regardless to the fact that his statement does not state that he should be attending... The lea keep telling me that they will review the situation but they have granted 2 other children a placement before even reviewing my ds... Very nervous about the tribunal but If I don't speak up for my child who will???

Orange36 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:19:27

I have a private ed psychologist report... Think that was what pushed the lea to give me a statement... Disgusting that you have to go private... I have always worked and payed my taxes... My diagnosis was also private as my ds was out of education and the waiting list for the nhs was 6-9 months... I couldn't afford to wait that long... His previous diagnosis was a language disorder and social difficulties???

appropriatelyemployed Sun 23-Sep-12 18:03:55

The statement should reflect the needs of the child. If your child is having to spend time in the unit, it must be because school believe he needs to be there and this is the reality of what he needs.

What have the LA produced to counter this?

Orange36 Sun 23-Sep-12 20:42:44

Nothing :0)

Ed psychologist report states ds needs sensory calm environment with experienced staff ect... But then says he needs to have access to mainstream curriculum... But my argument is even that the special schools for children with the most profound difficulties still used the national curriculum... It is just differentiated to suit the child's needs and ability... My child is 3/4 years behind in his education at 9years old... He is working at a year 1 child in year 5... He needs extra support...

AgnesDiPesto Sun 23-Sep-12 20:45:27

It is stressful dealing with the LA and the fear of losing for us was overwhelming as it was the difference between DS continuing to fail with little support in mainstream or getting fulltime ABA. We won 10 times what the LA was offering and I cannot bear to think what would have happened to DS if we had lost. It was definitely worth it. Even those who lose tend to come away with a much more tightly worded statement than they had before.

But the tribunal itself is oddly not too bad. The LA are usually on best behaviour so as to get tribunal on their side. They don't get to run the show. And in many ways it was the first time we actually got to have our say without being shouted down (although the LA witness did try to interrupt us constantly). It was the first time that DS was at the centre rather than all the silly tactics and cherry picking of evidence and bullying that had gone on by the LA before.

They will look at his needs now, if school are providing that level of support it will be hard for LA to argue its not needed and concerns about it being removed are very valid, I would think the tribunal would be sympathetic to this. Statements are reviewed annually so if it becomes apparent he can spend more time in mainstream / needs less support the LA can keep that under review.

Write your 5 main points that you want to say & concentrate on getting them across- there may be lots of time wasting / silly points by LA but just keep bringing it back to your DS say thats very interesting but actually I am here to discuss xxx - don't let them take things off track. You get to say something to sum up at the end so its helpful to remind yourself of the main points and repeat them then.

Take a photo of your DS (in a frame and pointed towards the panel). Just say you would like them to see who the hearing is about. It makes it real and not just a paper exercise.

Dress like a smart/casual Mum don't wear anything expensive that looks like you could afford to pay for the education yourself or make you seem daunting.

Oh and make sure you have food, drinks or money for the cafe, any parking etc - its easy to forget the obvious.

Things can go unexpectedly we got an adjournment as a witness was ill, sometimes LA settle on the morning. Be prepared for the unexpected.

Orange36 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:03:25

Thank you so much for your honesty... I appreciate your comments and advise... Fingers and toes crossed :0)

perceptionreality Sun 23-Sep-12 22:18:02

perceptionreality Sun 23-Sep-12 22:19:44

Orange36 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:49:08

Unfortunately our la are known for taking everything to tribunal... Such a waste of money... :0( apparently they win more than they lose which is worrying... I suppose I don't know any information about the other cases... I've had some help from a solicitor who keeps telling me my case is very strong...

Orange36 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:51:54

We do have a private asd school near my home address... £1500 per week... Ouch... That school does not have any parents paying for there own child's education at the moment... It's all la...

Orange36 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:54:01

Did the panel tell you the decision on the day or did you have to wait???

perceptionreality Mon 24-Sep-12 09:54:46

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now