Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tics getting worse and I am so worried.

(4 Posts)
Idreadtheschoolrun Sun 23-Sep-12 09:07:53

NC for this board as I know friends/not friends who are on MN!

DS is almost 8 and has been having tics for about two years. They started with blinking and have progressed to quite obvious head shaking. We have also seen head jerking, sniffing, lip sucking and mouth opening. They used to last about 3 months at a time then a small break and then another would emerge but now they seem to last less time but are more obvious and awkward. DS is getting very self conscious now and hates them whereas before they didn't bother him so much.

He also has had problems with attention and focus in school and has been under CAMHS for the last year with a view to assessment for ADHD but when they did the school assessment last term, he didn't have any tics and the EP said that he didn't show hyperactivity although he fidgeted a lot and had obvious problems with focus and concentration. He also is very anxious and finds change difficult to deal with and needs extra support changing year. Eye contact is very difficult for him. He can be great fun and helpful but more often he is quite a challenge. He moves all the time and finds it hard to occupy himself/be on his own.

He is achieving academic targets but I think his ability is much greater than his achievements, probably because his focus is so poor and he could do with better structure.

He currently has two tics - both physical. This is the first time they have been concurrent and they are quite pronounced. I feel so much for him and they make him feel so awkward and different. They are definitely exacerbated by stress and tiredness. This week has been terrible at school, although the SENCO are helping him. I feel his teacher lacks warmth and compassion and has already written him off as 'just naughty'. When I mentioned he had a new prominent tic she made a flippant and dismissive comment.

I don't know what I want from this post really. I dread the school run as there is so often an issue with DS struggling with his behaviour and the judgement from other mums. I am feeling more and more scared as time goes on that this isn't transient tic disorder as it has been going on for so long and is also hand in hand with these other issues. I think it is more and more likely to be Tourettes. I feel so alone and anxious. My DH is worried too but refusing to talk about it and I know he will struggle to deal with a diagnosis. I feel as though I have failed.

mumslife Sun 23-Sep-12 09:31:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

porridgelover Sun 23-Sep-12 09:58:23

How awful for your DS and you.
Try not to worry about the other mums (I dont any more though I used to run to my car for a cry after morning drop-off). It's easier said than done but there's nothing you can do about their 'judgement'. You obviously are a caring and loving mum which is all any of us can be judged on.

EP said that he didn't show hyperactivity although he fidgeted a lot and had obvious problems with focus and concentration. He also is very anxious and finds change difficult to deal with and needs extra support changing year
Did the EP do a formal assessment?
Would you go to the GP with your concerns...I think you have described enough above to get them involved?

I've posted this before...does any of it ring bells for you?

121prob Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:03

Your describing my ds, he also has various tics that come and go. He does have a dx of Autism and I can relate to the other things you decribe.

Are you under the comm/developmental paed?

Does he have any motor problems? gross or fine, does he have any sensory issues?

I wondered if my ds had Tourettes, currently they are quite calm but sometimes he can be constantly ticcing. The paed has told me it is just part of ASD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now