Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Behavioural Optomotrist

(11 Posts)
Eveiebaby Sat 22-Sep-12 21:07:49

I want to take DD to have her eyes thoroughly tested (she is 6, ASD) - she is starting to complain that she doesn't like writing anymore and there are a few other things that tie up with checklists I have looked at for BO's.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of what the eye exam is like and if you have had exercises prescribed do you feel it has made a diffence to learning at school eg writing, drawing - fine motor type skills.

Thanks

porridgelover Sat 22-Sep-12 22:37:00

Marking my place as I have similar concerns re DS and am thinking of adding this to the 'to do' list

mrsbaffled Sun 23-Sep-12 16:03:06

Yes, we took DS to a BO last year. Have a search through the archives on here as I posted a lot about it.

Basically, it was brilliant! DS's eyes are now fixed smile He had severe eye tracking problems but a course of Vision Therapy has workes 100%.

The eye exam was about 40 minutes, but not outrageously different to a normal exam.

His gross motor skills have improved a lot (due to Retained reflex Therapy as part of the vision therapy), but not fine motor.

Eveiebaby Sun 23-Sep-12 16:28:10

Thanks mrsbaffled - I will search through the archives - 40 mins eye exam doesn't sound too bad DD could cope with that - I think! good to hear your DS is doing well.

Porridgelover - I also posted on Primary Ed and have had some responses which might be useful to you

Inaflap Sun 23-Sep-12 18:46:28

Doesnt take long. Do take a notebook to write down the how and what of exercises. Been really useful for us

mrsbaffled Sun 23-Sep-12 19:43:42

The VT we went for was a fortnightly session of about an hour in the Office. Then I did 20 mins with DS a night at home too 5 days a week. He made very quick progress. It was about 4 months of gross motor work, followed by a couple of months (may have been less) of actual eye exercises.

In DS's case he had some retained primitive reflexes which prevented his eyes developing normally. Once the reflexes were inhibited (the gross motor stuff did this) the eyes were free to develop normally, aided by intensive exercises.

It's such a shame it is not on the NHS (apart from in Essex, i believe) - it could help so very many children.

lisad123 Sun 23-Sep-12 22:59:40

How did you find a BO?

chipmonkey Sun 23-Sep-12 23:24:46

Lisa, I'm a behavioural optometrist. Our organisation is BABO and if you click here then on your area, there will be a list.

I find that if parents follow the training programme with their children, most do see good results. Reading, writing, and taking things down from the board usually improve. Some of us combine VT with motor training too, which I find more effective. Sometimes if either the parents or I think that the full assessment will be too much, I shorten it or spread it out over two days.

lisad123 Sun 23-Sep-12 23:47:53

I'm concerned about dd2. She tracks things from right to left. She does puzzles right to left and starts her writing at the bottom of letters.
She's 5 and has autism, would it be possible to assess her?

chipmonkey Mon 24-Sep-12 09:55:11

Yes, it is possible! Even a child who is non-verbal can be assessed or at the very least observed. But you might want to phone beforehand to see if the BO in question has experience with autistic children and if not, could they recommend someone who does.

porridgelover Mon 24-Sep-12 10:01:39

chip thanks for that link. I will get my a into g this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now