Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Job application advice please :-)

(4 Posts)
Ineedalife Fri 21-Sep-12 21:50:30

Hi all I am applying for a job working with a Dc with a diagnosis of autism.
I want to say that I have experience of working with children with autism and I have but some of that experience is with my own child.

If you were applying would you mention having a child with the same condition as the child you would be working with??

Hope someone can advise mesmile

crisisofidentity Fri 21-Sep-12 22:23:02

Hi,
I did this and I also had done voluntary work in an SLD and ASD school,
I think it is certainly relevant and useful experience.
good luck!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 21-Sep-12 23:27:38

I mention it, too. Some schools see it as a positive, that you have the experience and empathy, others worry that you may feel that you are an 'expert' and they'd prefer you to come in without preconceived ideas. So you say you have experience with a variety of DC with ASD, and realise that they are all very different and that you will need to learn from the DC which strategies will work. You do have a raft of strategies to try, obviously. smile Some schools worry that if you have a DC with SN you'll be unreliable. Tricky but I always mention it as it is something that makes my application stand out, which in these competitive times, is no bad thing. Gook luck, Ineed!

Ineedalife Sat 22-Sep-12 13:44:10

Thanks for your advice both but I have done the number crunching this morning and unfortunatley the jobs that I was going to apply for will take our joint income just above the threashold for Dd2 to continue recieving the bursary she gets for college and we will also lose alot of tax credits. This means I cant actually afford to apply for the jobsad

I do have a job which I love most of the time but it carries alot of responsibility for which I am not being paid.

There is only so long I can do it for the love of it!
thanks anywaysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now