Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can an LEA do this???

(8 Posts)
banana87 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:30:45

I'm writing on behalf of a friend. Her son is 3 and she is going to tribunal in Hampshire because she does not agree with their school choice. She can't afford to hire a solicitor, even one from ipsea, but has been informed that the lea will be bringing a barrister from London. Can they do that????

wasuup3000 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:35:52

IPSEA are free to phone for advice and if there is a representitive in your area they might offer to represent your friend at no cost.

AgnesDiPesto Fri 21-Sep-12 19:46:51

Yes sadly they can - and we as taxpayers all pay for it!
If you go on special needs jungle blog there was a post there about a barrister who was setting up a charity and offering free representation.

bochead Fri 21-Sep-12 21:39:26

Yup they can - the system is designed to be "fair" as you can see angry.

If it helps as my Tribunal there were 5 bigwigs on their side v. lil ol' single Mum me on mine. I won wink.

My top tip is to include a few quotes from the LA reports to back up your own argument. It makes you look oh so reasonable and encourages the panel to really listen to those points from any independent ones you may have comissioned or your own diaries notes etc more carefully. Also stay calm and avoid the loo in the break in the middle for fear of bumping into and being intimidated by the "big wigs" as you wash your hands wink.

Jamillalliamilli Sun 23-Sep-12 14:43:33

Yes they can, but another L/P against their line up here, and I also won
smile
They attempted to make me withdraw at the last moment, but the judges thanks decided they'd hear the case. smile

David versus Goliath doesn't necessarily look good for Goliath!

I read up on what grounds they could legally refuse what we were seeking, ie efficient use of finances etc, and made sure I had my legal (not emotional!) counter arguments as to why they were incorrect, and all facts and figures to hand, and I would advise all parents to do that.
I've helped a few parents since, and you'd be surprised how often the LA has failed to provide the brought in barristers with the details they need.

Lougle Sun 23-Sep-12 14:56:26

I'm interested, Banana (live in Hants). Are they suggesting MS or special?

banana87 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:10:49

They are suggesting SLD special.

Lougle Wed 26-Sep-12 22:28:22

Ok. Have you seen the school? Have you been told why they feel it's an appropriate placement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now