Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help understanding the report and what questions to ask SENCO

(12 Posts)
purpledolphin Fri 21-Sep-12 16:16:56

DD dyslexic how to understand the report -scores and be clear with school

verbal comprehension 124: similarities 17, vocab 12, comprehension 13. perceptual reasoning 104: block design 12, picture concepts 10, Matrix reasoning 10, Working memory 99: digit span 10, letter number sequencing 10. Processing speed 68 coding 4, symbol search 4.

written language word reading 114, pseudo word reading 104 spelling 99. phoneme deletion 107,
reading accuracy 103, reading rate 107, reading comprehension 120( with access to the text). We have an appointment with the SENCO at the school in a fortnight but I need to allay my anxieties some what so that I can remain calm and do my best by my DD

The report suggests its not the actual scores but the discrepancy between DDs verbal abilities and her reading/language and especially her processing speed that is the issue. DD has seemed stressed at school since starting... but she is a different child in the holidays, for me her self-confidence and self esteem are possibly more important than outright academic sucess, and this and her weak arithmetic skills are the only things the school has picked up on. The report suggests that spoken language in pressured situations will be affected due to slow speed of recall

Inaflap Fri 21-Sep-12 18:20:27

The only score here which is below average is the processing speed. To put it in context, for gcse exam access arrangements you can only award readers, scribes, extra time, if standardised scores are 84 or lower. Most of these scores are in the good average bracket. What your child needs is for teachers to know that the give insrtuctions in chunks, supported with a visual prompt and allow time for the processing. Therefore no giving out hw right at the end of the lesson and expecting it to be written down and processed in 2 mins.
Are you in state or private. If you are in state then with the best will in the world you might not get anyone falling over themselves over these scores. There will be so many more students who have far weaker literacy than your cild and will need more support. However, you are right about the self esteem being the most important and you could ask the senco if there would be a group she could join which works on that or a mentor she can talk to. She might get small group support for maths as well?

wasuup3000 Fri 21-Sep-12 18:43:18

Didn't the person who assessed explain the results??? If not ask.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 21-Sep-12 19:12:55

The scores around 100 are standardised scores for children her age with 100 being average for her age. Her comprehension skills are great! but there's a big discrepancy between that and her processing speed. 68 is really quite low. You could google standardised scores and stanines, but think it's significantly below average.

The numbers in the tens and teens may be raw scores but as wassup says, you really need the report writer to explain.

Inaflap Sat 22-Sep-12 12:53:42

The processing speed needs differentiation in the classroom for sure and teachers need to know what to do which is the sencos job.

moosemama Sat 22-Sep-12 16:58:15

My ds (10, Y6, with AS) has very similar WISC scores to your dd. In fact their Verbal Comprehension is identical.

His processing speed tested at 85 (which is the 16th centile) and that was enough for the EP to recommend extra time for classroom tests and assessments, as well as what Inaflap said about differentiation for instructions, writing down homework etc. Although he also has issues with ASD related zoning-out and problems with handwriting, both of which affect how effectively he can get through the work he is set in class.

He has just got a statement and the school now have to give him help with recording his homework, as this is something he has never managed to do on his own.

We got a full report from the EP, along with a breakdown of what each score meant for ds and observations they made as he was carrying out the assessment. They also talked us through the report personally. As others have said you really need the same in order to make sense of it all.

From these results, the EP's observations and observations made by an OT during her assessment they have ascertained that ds has poor visual motor integration, which affects his ability to scan text or pictures, differentiate visual information. This affects his ability to work effectively in class, particularly when copying off the board, or out of a book and when he has to refer back to text eg in comprehension exercises.

I have outlined below, roughly what we were told for ds, in case that helps you at all.

1. Full Scale IQ (FSIQ)
The FSIQ score is the most reliable score obtained on the WISC IV, it is derived from combining a sum of all scaled scores for VCI, PRI, WMI and PSI. FSIQ is usually considered to be the score that is most representative of general intellectual functioning.

X's FSIQ would be considered to be within the higher end of average. However by taking the average score specific strengths and difficulties are not reflected. X'ss scores vary between the lower average and superior range.

2. Verbal Comprehension Index (VCI)
The three subtests administered were intended to measure verbal formation, verbal reasoning and knowledge acquired from one’s environment. X’s scores indicate this cognitive domain to be a particular area of strength, with his score falling with the superior range.

3. Perceptual Reasoning Index (PRI)
The three subtests administered are a measure of perceptual and fluid reasoning, spatial processing and visual-motor integration. X’s scores indicate that on the two subtests he performed above average and just under average on one. His overall score for this domain falls within the average range.

4. Working Memory Index (PRI)
The two subtests administered are a measure of working memory abilities. Tasks that require working memory require the ability to temporarily retain information in memory, perform some operation or manipulation with it and produce a result. Working memory involves attention, concentration, mental control and reasoning.

Research suggests that working memory is an essential component of other higher order cognitive processes, as well as being closely related to achievement and learning.

X’s scores indicate that he performed in the high average range.

5. Processing Speed Index (PRI)
The two processing speed subtests provide a measure of X’s ability to quickly and correctly scan, sequence or discriminate simple visual information. Both subtests measure short term visual memory, attention and visual motor coordination.

X’s scores indicate this cognitive domain appears to be an area of difficulty for him, with his results producing scores within the low average range (16th centile). He clearly has the cognitive skills necessary to successfully recognise letters and words, however his processing speed appears to be slow and therefore he will require extra time to accomplish tasks, particularly writing or copying tasks.

6. Index Level Discrepancy Comparisons
Information about a child’s strengths and weaknesses can be gained from comparing performances across four different index or composite scores. In X’s case there was a significant difference between his processing speed and all other areas. Indicating that he needs more time to complete tasks and for instructions to be repeated, in which case, instructions should be repeated in exactly the same way, allowing X to extract the information he has missed.

7. Overall summary of results and observations made
This psychological assessment has been undertaken to provide further information on X’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses. The results and observations from this assessment are to contribute towards a multi-agency assessment at the X Centre. The assessment was conducted in English in a standard sized, empty classroom within the school.

X did not present with any physical difficulties during the assessment, although at times he did appear uncomfortable on his chair and on occasions would briefly walk around the room between subtests. However, on each occasion he returned to his seat when requested. When he was giving a task his full attention, I observed that the fidgeting on the chair was reduced. It may be helpful in class, if X is able to have teacher directed opportunities for physical exercise (e.g. delivers messages, sharpen pencils, give books/materials out etc). When appropriate, it may be worth exploring X’s response to completing tasks whilst standing up, (e.g. using a high table, using a lectern etc), which may also be a beneficial resource for other class members.

X was able to give his attention and concentration for the full administration time. However during the Picture Concepts Subtest, we could hear some music playing from a nearby room. For me, this sounded like background music, however X appeared very distracted by the music, he was unable to continue with the task and appeared not to hear anything I said to him whilst the music was playing. Once the music had stopped, X was able to give his full attention to the task again. In the classroom or noisy environments X may be finding it difficult to ignore background or minor noises, which other children find easy to tune out.

During the assessment, we were required to move to another classroom as the class returned, this did not appear to have any impact on X or his performance, once in the new classroom he continued to be focused and completed the tasks.

I observed that on the tasks which X may have found more challenging he did keep asking how he was doing, he appeared to need verbal encouragement to give him the confidence to continue with the challenging tasks. X responded well to verbal feedback and praise, this could be observed by his positive body language.

On tasks requiring visual reasoning and logic, X persisted, using trial and error strategies to complete the task. He also used self-talk strategies to reinforce information and support his attention and concentration.

moosemama Sat 22-Sep-12 17:07:32

Forgot to say, that we were also told that it's not the scores, but the large discrepancy between the VCI and PSI scores that highlights a problem that needs addressing.

Ds also has confidence/self-esteem issues and doesn't believe that he deserves to be in the top sets, because he can't complete the same amount of work as the rest of his group. We have the same fight to get his teachers to understand it at the start of every new year and despite the statement making it clear, we are having the same old fight this year. That said, after a few weeks of teaching him, most teachers do start to realise that it's not that he can't achieve well, it's just that he is unable to demonstrate to them what he is able to achieve within the confines of standard classroom assessments.

At the end of last year they had to have extra meetings to try and assess his NC levels, because there was little evidence in his books for how much he had progressed. It took a few weeks for them to suss it all out, but he has remained in the top sets and they say they are confident that, based on ability and potential, he is in the right place. His teachers say it's incredibly frustrating for them as well as him, because they can clearly tell he is capable of achieving well, but they struggle to be able to prove it based on the work he's produced. If it was all verbal assessment, he'd probably be top of his year. sad

They can differentiate marking of assessments to extrapolate results, for example in maths tests, working out his results based on how many he completed, rather than how many questions were set. Very often ds will only complete 14 out of 20, even working at his fastest pace, but he usually gets 95-100% of those correct, demonstrating that he has understood the concept and is able to use it independently.

purpledolphin Sun 23-Sep-12 21:49:11

Thank you all, especially Moosemama, I will try to contact the EP and ask for some support from her ... after all we paid quite a lot for the assesment.. though it looks like any support my DD may have got for literacy is unlikely to happen, just as well that teaching her the way I learned to read the summer before last..... reading twice or three times sometimes a day for a whole summer worked! but saying that I don't regret teaching her I remember labelling myself thick because I could not read at least she has been spared that!... Moosema have you heard about sensory integration... read a really interesting book by Annmarie lombard.... sensory intelligence why it matters more than IQ or EQ answered loads of questions, sounds like your DS is a sensory sensitive hope he gets the help he needs!

moosemama Sun 23-Sep-12 22:49:41

I haven't read that book, but I will have a look for it on Amazon. I am aware of sensory integration and would be interested to know what we could do to help him at home, as we don't have any SI trained OT's in our area, so would have to pay privately for therapy. Like many other things, it's on the (very long) list.

We're planning a BIBIC assessment in a couple of months times and hoping they might be able to offer some ideas for home-based therapies.

He is highly affected by sensory stimuli and one thing I'm particularly worried about this year is that the SATs are done in the school hall, alongside the kitchens where they will be preparing the school dinners. He has a super-sensitive nose and many smells make him feel quite ill, which of course could have a really big impact on his SATs results.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Mon 24-Sep-12 10:54:53

Discrepancy is the most important thing.

Subtest scores: 17 = 99th percentile, 13 = 84th percentile, 12 = 75th percentile, 10 = 50th percentile, 4 = 2nd percentile

Standard scores: 124 = 91st percentile, 99 = 47th percentile, 68 = 1st percentile.

Conversion table www.fetaweb.com.

Check out 'twice gifted'.

purpledolphin Wed 26-Sep-12 21:38:12

KeepOn,
Just wanted to say a Huge thankyou the twice gifted site is amazing as is the fetaweb site both really helpful!.
purple thanks smile

purpledolphin Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:07

Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted here, have seen the SENCO and class teacher, they are doing some really positive things.... that would have made my school days easier, like different coloured text for each line of instruction on the board, individualised computer games to help with reading new words and arithmetic, group work on short term memory and fine motor skills and some understanding of why she is as she is I am feeling really positive, and love the idea that they want to make the school dyslexia friendly which will be better for my DD but also it will be better for all the kids in her class really don't feel that I could ask for more so while it may be a bit of a lottery about what help you get its not all bad smile and thanks to all for your support thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now