Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just been refered to community paediatrician

(6 Posts)
NopofacehaveI Thu 20-Sep-12 16:56:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nothinginthefridge Thu 20-Sep-12 17:08:38

DS assessment was only in the clinic, and it was a massive step forward for us. She was very understanding, very knowledgable and treated me like I was the expert on DS.

Thought she was slightly bonkers for referring him to OT for not being able to hop properly. Turns out he has moderate dyspraxia, which I had dismissed as he was on the G&T register for PE at school.

She has since agreed to request assessment for ASD which school said was not needed.

Hope you get a good one too.

bizzey Fri 21-Sep-12 13:29:58

OP...I had my 1st visit with comm pead a few days ago .....We were in there for 1hour 15mins we had a long chat and I didn't feel like I was being rushed .

She has recomended that ds(8.2yrs) be statemented and school would have to organise Ed Pysc.I told her school have said school action plus was enough even though Iwanted and would be happy to have ed pysc assesment and the statement as the gap is widening in his delays , so do tell her of your concerns about school.

She said that when a Comm pead requests it they have to sort it out .

She is going to ask for a full school report and I am going to request a copy of it to make sure what school write about ds is accurate ..and it means I might be able to use it if i self refer to E/P .

Agree with above poster and hope you get a good one.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 21-Sep-12 13:35:14


You can request the statement from the LEA; you do not need anyone's permission to do this. Infact you are better off making the request yourself in that you can appeal the LEAs crass decision in the event they say no to assessment. Others do not have that right.

If the LEA do agree to assess (this is but only the first hurdle) they will then write to the professionals in question requesting reports on your son.

Use IPSEA's website for more information; there are model letters on there you can use

You will need to write to the Chief Education Officer at your LEA and give them six weeks to reply, mark that date on your calendar.

bizzey Fri 21-Sep-12 16:51:50

Thanks Attila...I did know about the self referral but did not know which way to do it for the best,,I thought If I self referred it would look like I wasn't happy with school imput ...but anyhow I think I am a bit clearer on it all now and will S/R just so I know it has started.

OP...sorry for the bit of the hi jack but if if you are being refered in order for a statement ....we could hold hands !!!!!

NopofacehaveI Sun 23-Sep-12 17:52:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: