Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Special Need Discounts

(26 Posts)
myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 13-Sep-12 21:01:06

My son has just been diagnosed as Autistic (on top of Sensory Processing Disorder, Dyspraxia, Hypermobility and low muscle tone).

I have been looking at the websites for ASD and a lot of them are in favour of discounts on entry fees for days out BUT it seems that these places always want the "blue badge" or DLA claimants. We have neither and I do not hold out much hope of getting DLA either.

Has any-one got any good days out where a diagnosis letter is enough proof? I live in Northamptonshire

dev9aug Thu 13-Sep-12 21:22:21

sorry, I do not know any places where you can get discounts but interested to know why you dont think you will get DLA. Can you please have a read through this Cerebra DLA guide , I think you might find that your DS probably does qualify for DLA.

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 13-Sep-12 21:40:10

I have filled in the forms but I have heard of so many being refused it sad . It would help us so much. My ds inner soles for his flat feet are £30 a pair!

dev9aug Thu 13-Sep-12 21:56:07

We filled it couple of months ago and got HRM and HRC at the first time so it is definitely worth a try. Give Cerebra a ring, sometimes they will come out and help you fill in the forms. I did fill in the form myself before I knew about the guide and had to rewrite everything again as per the guide. I am sure this was the reason it was awarded at the higher rate.

babiki Thu 13-Sep-12 22:18:21

yes, definitely try, I had help from local charity (Families in Focus), they came and helped filled it all in..and got higher rate care as go for it!

lindy20 Fri 14-Sep-12 07:21:37

You have to apply for DLA my son 13 has aspergers and i get it .....make an appoitment at CAB and they will fill out the form for you.....its amazing how much extra thigns you have to do compared with normal children....

TirednessKills Fri 14-Sep-12 08:08:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mycarscallednev Fri 14-Sep-12 12:49:51

Go to your local CAB - they are well versed in the 'how' to fill out these forms - and there is a definate how to it as well.
We sent in huge amounts of supporting evidence the first time, all backed up by consultants at GOSH and the Evelina. We were refused care as they said having to catheterise 3 hourly didn't ammount to a 'toileting care issue', and needing to use a wheelchair wasn't a mobility issue. The CAB took the case and in 2 months we were awarded High Rate for both mobility and care. The DLA are notorious for not reading through the documents - but at appeal they are seen by medical staff........

myBOYSareBONKERS Fri 14-Sep-12 14:02:36

Many thanks for your replies. I have filled it in and have explained about his OT and PT exercises and the stress it is to .get him to do it. Also about how he has no danger awareness And has fallen in two ponds in the last year. Also how he can't do buttons due to dyspraxia so needs Help with Clothing. Plus other stuff that i hope will count

myBOYSareBONKERS Fri 14-Sep-12 18:48:17

Sorry about the poor sentence construction and random capital letters in the previous post!! Was on my phone confused

SilkStalkings Sat 15-Sep-12 08:09:37

If you get mid-rate DLA you would be eligible for Carer's Allowance. Plus Tell Child Tax Credits too as they might Give you a disability element.

colditz Sat 15-Sep-12 08:14:45

Twin lakes in Melton Mowbray have just taken my word for it, although I brought a diagnosis letter in, mainly because I couldn't find my dla letter.

colditz Sat 15-Sep-12 08:16:50

And do apply for dla. My walking talking autistic child gets high rate care because he doesn't ever sleep and needs constant supervision. He gets low rate mobility because he 'leans' on me on pavements, and is completely unsafe without being held onto near roads.

perceptionreality Sat 15-Sep-12 11:41:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohmeohmy Sun 16-Sep-12 20:04:22

Sme areas have a disability register that will issue a card verifying your position

myBOYSareBONKERS Mon 17-Sep-12 06:42:13

Thank-you everyone for responding.

I am going to finalize and post the DLA forms today. I keep going back to them so they have taken awhile to fill in, but I MUST get them posted!

Eliza22 Tue 18-Sep-12 08:47:22

You could ask his paediatrician. We did. Not for discount passes but, I'm sure they could help. Ds has aspergers and OCD.

Our consultant did a "please give special consideration" style letter for our recent travel abroad.

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 13-Oct-12 12:07:15

UPDATE: Got my sons DLA award today - Middle rate for personal and lower for mobility. I am just completely shocked that I got it!!

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 13-Oct-12 12:13:04

I earn more than £100 per week though so I do not think I will be entitled to Carers Allowance

ouryve Sat 13-Oct-12 13:36:07

Our LA has children's network for disabled kids. Both my boys have a card which gets them free or discounted entry to a lot of local attractions. They also run activities, cinema openings, parties etc which tend to be free but available on a first come first served basis. It's worth checking if your council has a similar register.

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 13-Oct-12 15:31:07

I am in Northampton - have had a look but I can't find anything like what you described

whatthewhatthebleep Sat 13-Oct-12 15:55:12

did you know that your energy bills can be reduced rate for dual fuel and also if you have a disabled child/person in the house....also discount cinema exhibitors card...look up download admittance to carers accompanying disabled person. Also council rents and tax have reductions too which you are entitled to...and extra income support as well as the carers allowances.....

You can apply for school uniform grants as well as school meals annually too.

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 13-Oct-12 20:15:08

Thank-you - will definitely look at these

piglettsmummy Sat 13-Oct-12 22:04:14

My daughter revives dla and isn't as near as bad as your little one do I wudnt worry about the dla. I recently went to a twycross zoo, for my daughters birthday! Before booking her in online as a disbanded child I phoned them and explained our situation. I told them she isn't physically disabled but she is classed disabled because she need oxygen tanks and a monitor and would we need to provide any proof before entering, thy said no. I think as long as you phone up and explain ur situation thy shud be able I advise smile x

UnChartered Sat 13-Oct-12 22:09:50

have PMed you, Boys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now