Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ipad apps for sen?

(11 Posts)
Badvoc Thu 24-May-12 18:58:50

any ipad apps for (particularly) dyslexia and handwriting and spelling?....

TIA

Oblomov Thu 24-May-12 21:08:48

I too am looking at trying to find apps. One of the ladies, on my EarlyBird+ course, asked if there apps for.... emotions pictures. Like the widgit symbols - pictures to show anger, frustration etc etc, that maybe her son could use when they were out and about, instead of having to draw matchstick men. We all thought this was a good idea, but no one knew if such an app for her phone, existed.

supermum98 Thu 24-May-12 21:22:28

There are I know as I attended a session on apps for SENS with IPad, but I came away without the hand-out with them on. There were mind-mapping apps too which are great for dyslexics and our OT is using it in school as there are apps to help with visual perceptual difficulties. I would say the IPad is a great SENS tool and any school with any sense should purchase a load and use them for all SENS kids. One fund raising do should nail it.

MuddlingThru Thu 24-May-12 21:39:13

http://www.mychoicepad.com/ does makaton signs and symbols.

ABC pocket phonics - letter sounds and formation

Spelling Test - really like this one, you input your own lists of spellings by typing and voice, then the child listens to the word, types it in and gets marked against what you have input.

We also tried one called Eye Contact for interpreting peoples expressions, but it was aimed at younger/less able children than DS so we deleted it, but might be worth a look.

Oblomov Thu 24-May-12 22:05:57

Sorry, should have been clearer. This lady was looking for apps for the i-phone. Even MyChoicePad says it still hasn't cretaed an app for the i-phone yet.

The Eye contact one is an Iphone app according to my Itunes account, it's still on there, just not on my phone any more. Actually I'm sure we tried it on the Ipad.

dazeycat Thu 24-May-12 22:48:37

There is an app called 'autism apps' that lists lots of educational apps for ipad & iphone by category. I've found several useful ones from it.

silverfrog Thu 24-May-12 23:02:09

kindergarten apps have an emotions set of pictures - dd1 loves scrolling through.

can second Pocket Phonics - really good.

sayjay Thu 24-May-12 23:11:03

Pocket phonics
Hairy letters for a little humour
Eurotalk Maths app loved by Ds, although not writing and spelling, he enjoys it because he's good at it.
Dot to dot numbers and letters by same ppl as pocket phonics.

AnotherAlias Fri 10-May-13 15:59:25

http://www.solutions-inc.co.uk/index.php/events/learning-with-apple

if that might be of use smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now