Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is Dolfrog about - can you advise me on APD, pls?

(12 Posts)
imogengladheart Sun 22-Apr-12 10:55:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Sun 22-Apr-12 11:39:35

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder

http://www.citeulike.org/group/12655/library/order/title,,

Dolfrog is taking a break from MN for a while Imogen but I am sure he wouldnt mind me giving you these links if you want to research more into APD.

I would scour through the postings here and pick up some more of dolfrogs information if you can.

I do know that you would need to contact GOSH for APD testing as they are experienced in this field and you can go private for it. I am a member on his APD FB page so I will put up a message to see if anyone knows any experienced testers in Scotland for you smile

coff33pot Sun 22-Apr-12 11:45:55

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder

www.citeulike.org/group/12655/library/order/title,,

sorry thats better smile

sazale Sun 22-Apr-12 12:01:45

Coff33pot do you know how to go private for APD testing? Thanks

coff33pot Sun 22-Apr-12 12:13:30

Trying to scout down the threads myself sazale to find where I read this. I got to go work now but will track it down later if I can smile

imogengladheart Sun 22-Apr-12 12:27:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dolfrog Sun 22-Apr-12 14:12:16

Hi imogengladheart

As coff33pot has mentioned I am taking an MN break for a while, and I only very occasionally scan the MN forums. To add to the links coff33pot has already listed you fight also find my UK APD links list useful, and my APDUK links list which includes some useful downloads.

APD is a listening disability, or having problems processing waqht you hear, and most who have APD can have pwerfect hearing. If youhave a look at the Medical Research Council Web site (linked to in my UK APD links list) you will find a page regarding their researech program that involved many schools around the UK, and some were in Scotland, and I think Glassgow University was the local research centre.
Many of the consultants who carry out APD assessments in the NHS hospitla also have private clinics at other times of the week or month. You need to find an audiologists who is qualified to carrout an APOD assessment using the Medical Research Council guidelines and especially one who is part of the required multi-discipline assessment team (audiologist to assess and diagnose the APd, a speech and language pathologist to assess how the diagnosed APD affects speech and language issue, and a psychologist to help assess living with the diagnosed APD (for children this will alos include related learning issues including the dyslexic symptom) Training these multi-discipline teams has ben tkaing some time.

Many who have APD also have Hyperacusis or sensitivity to what they consider an overly loud noise or noises (sometimes high levels of background noise) and or some specific sound frequencies. (a bit complicated to explain in detail on a forum). A consultant audiologist should be able to help with Hyperacusis.

I hope this helps if you PM me then I will get an email notification that you need more information.

best wishes

dolfrog

MIlesdavis Fri 18-May-12 19:21:25

Hi. My daughter was diagnosed with APD at GOSH a few years ago when she was 8. She has dyslexia and a language disorder. I like Tony Sirimanna very much and he was great to diagnose the issue, but my problem with the entire process is once diagnosed there is nothing offered to mitigate or correct the issue for the child. So for example, they offer headsets, but our EP felt it would make our daughter "tune out" as she would hear a lot of communication directly in her ear not related to her (for example, if the teacher answered a child's question, etc. or reprimanded someone) and would tune out eventually. Our EP felt the headsets might work when our daughter was older and classes are more formal, but not when young.

GOSH suggests FastForward, but a meta-analysis done by the University of York indicates most of the studies used to promote FastForward are not valid and the ones that are show no improvement. See as follows: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2010.02329.x/full

Fastforword is incredibly expensive and requires a lot of time each day. Our headmistress told me she did want our daughter doing it as plunking a child in front of a screen is intuitively not the best idea for children with this challenge. I feel Fastforword is a money-making enterprise more than anything. And I think if they market in the UK it should be in British English not American English...these children struggle enough without having to navigate a completely different way of speaking on top of it.

So although I am grateful to know that our daughter has APD, as I believe you cannot defeat a problem you cannot define, it did not provide any solutions for addressing her needs. I took a step back and realised...what matters here?Reading first. Writing second. Maths third. So I found a brilliant tutor for her who is focussing on reading, writing and maths...her teacher speaks very clearly to her and compartmentalises her work. She is making great progress this way - it's old fashioned, it's not a magic bullet but it's tried and tested and it's working in our case. It's so easy to get blinded by science, and think that once you know your child's issue the experts will have the means to solve it, but we didn't find that. What we did find was a means of slowly but surely making things right for her, and that was down to the school, her teacher and head, a tutor and my husband and I, not GOSH, an APD diagnosis or a technology programme. They can diagnose the issue, but not the means of turning it around, which is disappointing.

Smudge45 Fri 18-May-12 21:17:11

Our ds was diagnosed as borderline apd, he specifically had problems with hearing with a background noise (in the 5th centile - so 95% of children would do better) and hearing fragmented words (9th centile). We followed the FastForward programme for 2-3 months. Our son was retested at GOSH 6 months after the first test and his results for hearing with background noise had risen to 16 th centile and fragmented words to the 63rd centile. Admittedly our ds probably has different hearing problems from Imogen's, but we really think it helped.

mariasalome Fri 18-May-12 23:06:10

I'd imagine that without diagnosis, neither the technical option of FFW nor the common sense extra/better teaching would have been available though.

Smudge45 Sat 19-May-12 13:58:01

I think FFWD is often advertised as not only for APD, but also for children with dyslexia or reading problems. We weren't asked if we had any diagnosis. The biggest worry the provider had was that our DS, who has ADHD, would be able to concentrate for the 20 minutes you are supposed to do 5 times per week. It was sometimes a struggle, particularly at the end when our DS had completed all the exercises he found easy and was left with a nub of difficult exercises. To be honest though it was only 3 months out of his life and his language has really come on since completing it. The american accent was a bit annoying for us, but didn't seem to phase our DS (probably too much Ben 10 and Scooby Doo watching).

APDncsresearch Wed 22-Feb-17 13:59:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now