Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Proposed Statement - What now?

(8 Posts)
Anna85 Tue 25-Oct-11 17:14:17

I have this morning recieved my DS's proposed statement!

Within it as only quickly skimmed through it and going to look into more detail when quiet it says "Access to 25 hours per week from a Learning Support Assistant to be delivered individually and in small group"

Who determines how that is delivered? Could it just mean as long as a TA is in the classroom its okay?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 25-Oct-11 17:41:58

Sorry, Anna, yes.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 25-Oct-11 17:43:43

Good God, does no-one get a half decent propsed statement anymore?

That provision is no different from the provision he would have without a statement.

cornycabana Tue 25-Oct-11 17:44:52

IPSEA helped me with my proposed statement - try them. Not sure how you could make that more specific...hopefully someone else can help.

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 18:06:54

Congratualations Anna on receiving the proposed statement smile

I am in such a muddle with mine that I cant offer much advise. Only to say at least you have 25 hours written within the statement so that is a start. Its the rephrasing of it you need to look at to show that the 25 hours support is solely for your ds.

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 18:07:50

as in 1 to 1 I mean. And not as a whole class.

Anna85 Tue 25-Oct-11 19:50:42

I don't think he would need 1:1 the whole time as he does enjoy being in class but I feel he does need more help in reading and literacy! Numeracy he seems okay with!

The whole "access" to 25 hours made me feel a bit effy as I did think it could mean just one in the classroom!

Since the statement request was started he has made some improvement so I don't want the school to turn round and say....we don't think he needs that 25 hours! If you see what I mean? x

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 21:11:57

Anna If it was me. I would be ensuring he had that 25 hours solely for him on a 1 : 1 basis. If it is down in the statement it is there for the school to abide by.

It seems to me the way it is worded at the moment is basically. There is another TA in the classroom available to all in that class room for 25 hours which your son along with all the rest has access too.

My DS has 1 to 1. It is not outside of the class on his own. It is inside the class. There is another TA present for the rest of the children iyswim.

It is good that you dont think he needs TA the whole time and a TA can and is supposed to step back and observe to let your child eventually become independent (wishing mine will get there one day smile) But unless the hours are specified to him then he is in a que with the rest of the kiddies.

I could be wrong as I am new at this so maybe someone can help out a bit more and tell me if I am barking mad or not grin I got broad shoulders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now