Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OT & Cost

(19 Posts)
coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 16:41:57

Hunting down a good Independent OT in Cornwall. Yesssss exactly.

Provisional Statement sat in my lap and trying to get an OT report asap and no time to wait for NHS.

Also as to cost. I can see a couple sites quote £35 per hour for initial assess then mileage 45p then travel £15 per hour. How long is an initial assessment? And would I get a report at the end of it or is that extra cost on top. I am desperately trying to budget it is my reason for asking.

Can anyone recommend a good OT in Cornall?

coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 16:42:36

Cornwall even..........grin

IndigoBell Mon 24-Oct-11 16:52:16

Wow - that's a lot cheaper than you'd pay in London.

I think the assessment would include the report.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Mon 24-Oct-11 16:53:18

Our one was £430 for the assessment and report (I think it was a 1 3/4 hr assessment). Then £65 per 50 minutes for therapy. £35 per hour sounds cheap to me! We are in the SE so no recommendation for you sorry.

Looking for holiday accomodation in Cornwall though wink

lechillycornsilk Mon 24-Oct-11 16:57:39

wow that's cheap. I was looking at one for £600! I'd imagine that the report would be extra.

coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 17:00:18

It could well be cheaper due to wages down here or it could be cheaper due to they are not so good that is my worry! smile

Further clinical time is £30 per hour if required after inital assessment.

This is the link www.ciots.co.uk/therapists.htm

It the write up of the second one I was looking at....... With therapy through music. DS main issues are sensory as well as social & emotional, plus trouble writing.

coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 17:02:53

sorry x posted with you lech smile yes I think you may be right and a report would be extra on top, which is fine if the assessment is only a couple hours smile

Saving up for private psych also so I am working out things but I think this report is needed to maybe get things in motion with school.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Mon 24-Oct-11 17:03:40

I thought that must be the one as I had a google and you don't have much provision down there do you. Ours is a sensory OT and she has loads of different swings and things for him to work on. That might explain the price difference too, as it doesn't look like they do sensory integration therapy.

coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 17:03:48

Ben10 pm me where you are thinking of staying and I will have a scout round for you smile

coff33pot Mon 24-Oct-11 17:05:18

No that is the problem there is nothing down here. It is so frustrating.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Mon 24-Oct-11 17:30:12

How about travelling to Wiltshire? Is that too far for an assessment? Once you have an OT report, then it is easier to get the NHS OTs and school to listen and act on the recommendations.

justaboutstillhere Mon 24-Oct-11 17:34:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nigel1 Mon 24-Oct-11 23:28:38

Make absolutely sure that the report is written for a Tribunal. Diagnosis, needs, learning objectives and provison is specific detailed and quantified. Make sure that the therapsit is prepaired to attend Tribunal with you. If they are not dont use them.
Having gone to Tribunal agaisnt Cornwell a number of times be warned they are not pleasant people.

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 00:19:59

Nigel1 I don't know whether to thank you or be worried now! smile

Thank you for the advice on what I specifically want to see and ask for in a report. There is another link I have seen regarding Sensory Integration Therapy and they do full reports and assessments. I am hoping that they are trained OTs it was too late to ring them today so I will tomorrow. I love where I live but I am getting frustrated at there being such a lack of services.

Nigel1 Tue 25-Oct-11 08:59:43

Well Id like to hope my comments were helpfull!

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 11:40:16

Nigel1

Your comments were VERY helpful and being forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes smile

It was the bit about the fact that Cornwall are not pleasant people that is giving me the jitters. It is still good to be warned and I didnt mean to cause offence hence the smile smile

AVoidkaTheKillerZombies Tue 25-Oct-11 11:58:03

What kind of report are you going to get for your £35?

We paid £500 for an initial assessment. We found our OT on here. We made sure that she had experience of writing reports for SA's.

AVoidkaTheKillerZombies Tue 25-Oct-11 11:58:44

Our initial assessment was about three hours and we had the report the next week.

coff33pot Tue 25-Oct-11 18:39:25

Thanks AVoidka the £35 charge was per hour as an initial assessment charge. I would assume that there would also be a charge for compiling a report also. Not that it matters as I havent been able to get intouch with either of them.

Looked at your link just now and found one in Devon. Unfortunately I emailed using the email address and its been returned saying doesnt have this address so that is that out the window till tomorrow. Thank you for the link though much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now